Visual Studio for Mac cannot build two Xamarin.Forms projects into a single solution

Jesse_JiangJesse_Jiang USMember ✭✭✭

I just used latest Visual Studio for Mac. It's easy to reproduce
1. Create a XF project, then build, it's OK.
2. Create a solution folder and new the second XF project under that solution folder.
3. Make sure all files in the second XF project is in one folder.
4. Build the second project iOS or Droid failed, build PCL, OK,

The error is different, sometimes is error XF001: Xamarin.Forms targets have been imported multiple times. Please check your project file and remove the duplicate import(s).
Sometimes is MSbuild falied, no details

here is the detail
=== Visual Studio Community 2017 for Mac ===

Version 7.3.2 (build 12)
Installation UUID: 57bfe2c6-725d-410d-b5f2-52b69d97c377
Runtime:
Mono 5.4.1.7 (2017-06/e66d9abbb27) (64-bit)
GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 504010007

=== NuGet ===

Version: 4.3.1.4445

=== .NET Core ===

Runtime: /usr/local/share/dotnet/dotnet
Runtime Versions:
SDK: /usr/local/share/dotnet/sdk/2.0.0/Sdks
SDK Versions:
MSBuild SDKs: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.4.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Sdks

=== Xamarin.Profiler ===

Version: 1.6.0
Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 9.2 (13772)
Build 9C40b

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 8.1.0.25 (Visual Studio Community)
Android SDK: /Users/jesse/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
6.0 (API level 23)
7.0 (API level 24)
7.1 (API level 25)
8.0 (API level 26)

SDK Tools Version: 25.2.5
SDK Platform Tools Version: 25.0.5
SDK Build Tools Version: 26.0.3

Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.8.0_131"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

Android Designer EPL code available here:
https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 11.6.1.2 (Visual Studio Community)
Hash: 6857dfcc
Branch: xcode9.2
Build date: 2017-12-04 21:20:41-0500

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Version: 4.0.0.214 (Visual Studio Community)

=== Xamarin Inspector ===

Version: 1.3.2
Hash: 461f09a
Branch: 1.3-release
Build date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 18:26:57 GMT
Client compatibility: 1

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 703020012
Git revision: 7d0c9d7ad46b125cf4b7bbf9532c0531b6433ce6
Build date: 2017-12-12 14:03:18-05
Xamarin addins: 6dddaa49fbecb2695fcdcd6b712eb269e288518c
Build lane: monodevelop-lion-d15-5

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.13.2
Darwin 17.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.3.0
Thu Nov 9 18:09:22 PST 2017
root:xnu-4570.31.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

=== Enabled user installed addins ===

NuGet Package Management Extensions 0.12.2
Internet of Things (IoT) development (Preview) 7.1

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Does this still happen after closing and re-opening the solution? I hit the build failure, with no real MSBuild error information, on adding the new Xamarin.Forms project to an existing solution but on closing and re-opening the solution it seems OK. I was unable to reproduce any error about the Xamarin.Forms target being imported multiple times.

Also do you have any errors in your IDE log when it fails?

I did get a few internal errors logged in the IDE log - which probably caused the build to fail with the obscure internal build error message.

• Jesse_JiangJesse_Jiang USMember ✭✭✭

@mattward Thanks for your reply, yes, this solves a part of my problem.

But if you change one project from them to .Net standard, you will get the error again.

edited December 2017

Can you post the errors are in your IDE log after you reproduce the problem?

Also which Xamarin.Forms project template are you using?

Blank Forms App template

error XF001: Xamarin.Forms targets have been imported multiple times. Please check your project file and remove the duplicate import(s).

I am interested in the errors in the IDE log (Help - Open Log Directory). Just want to confirm the error is the same as what I am seeing. Thanks.

• lassanalassana BYMember ✭✭

I had the same problem: I've managed to resolve it by adding a new property <ExcludeRestorePackageImports>true</ExcludeRestorePackageImports> to the .NET Standart project csproj. I'm not really sure what it does but now my app can be built.

edited December 2017

My solution is to delete this line in the second PCL project file.

<Import Project="..\..\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.121934\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.targets" Condition="Exists('..\..\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.121934\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.targets')" />

But I think this is a bug of VS for mac, @mattward

Yes, it is a bug. Would you be able to please post the IDE log after reproducing the error? Thanks.

Thanks. That IDE log only seems to have a debugger error about being unable to find an executable. So the MSBuild failed error is no longer happening?

I will see if I can repro the problem using the Blank Forms app project. Previously I was using the Forms app which creates a shared project.

Thanks. That IDE log only seems to have a debugger error about being unable to find an executable. So the MSBuild failed error is no longer happening?

I will see if I can repro the problem using the Blank Forms app project. Previously I was using the Forms app which creates a shared project.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I am having this error in UWP application on VS2017 on Windows10. I cant figure out how to solve. I dont have any duplicated import tags for xamarin forms neither in pcl csproj file nor in uwp project file. how can I solve this?

Closing and re-opening the solution fixes the problem with two Xamarin.Forms projects are in the solution. Also it looks like this is fixed in Visual Studio for Mac 7.4 currently available on the alpha and beta channels.

@batmaci - However you may be seeing a different error. It depends what is in your IDE log (Help - Open Log Directory).

• bijingtonbijington Member ✭✭

@mattward I am seeing the same issue in Visual Studio for Mac v7.3.3. I saw this issue when trying to convert from a PCL library to .NET Standard in Options.

I have attached a copy of the ide log file showing a fair number of issues.

Is it possible to confirm whether this is the same issue. If so when it 7.4 likely to be release outside of beta? Also closing and re-opening the solution doesn't resolve my issue.

@bijington - Which error are you seeing? The problem I was seeing was the MSBuild failure with no other information - that seems to be fixed in Visual Studio for Mac 7.4. If you seeing the XF001: Xamarin.Forms targets have been imported multiple times. Please check your project file and remove the duplicate import(s). error then I would check your projects to see if the same version of Xamarin.Forms is used everywhere and there are not duplicate imports.

@mattward it is the XF001: Xamarin.Forms targets have been imported multiple times. Please check your project file and remove the duplicate import(s). issue I am seeing. I have gone through my project file multiple times and cannot find any duplicate imports for Xamarin.Forms.

While both projects appeared to have the same Xamarin.Forms version there was an update so I have attempted to update it. I am unable to update to the latest in my PCL library as it gives the following error:
    Invalid restore input. Invalid target framework 'unsupported'.
    Something I will need to look in to when I get a chance

edited January 2018

If you converted the PCL project to .NET Standard via the project options the project will be using a project.json. NuGet will generate two files that also import the Xamarin.Forms.props and Xamarin.Forms.targets: projectname.nuget.props and projectname.nuget.targets. If your project file that uses the project.json file also imports the Xamarin.Forms.targets then that may be the double import.

I just reproduced that problem myself with VS Mac 7.3.3. I created a Xamarin.Forms Class Library (Multiplatform - Library) from the project template, then went into project options Build - General and converted the PCL to .NET Standard. Then tried to build the project. I see a build error Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.121934/build/portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81/Xamarin.Forms.targets(3,3): Error XF001: Xamarin.Forms targets have been imported multiple times. Please check your project file and remove the duplicate import(s). (XF001). To fix this I edited the .csproj and removed the Xamarin.Forms.targets import from the file:

<Import Project="..\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.121934\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.targets" Condition="Exists('..\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.121934\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.targets')" />

@mattward that makes sense now! Thank you! I was looking for duplicates within the same file not across multiple files within the same project (doh).

• KenMyersKenMyers USMember ✭✭

This is incredibly annoying ... Ha when are they going to fix this problem? I don't think we should have to be modifying these files.