Current Visual Studio Release: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 2018 in General

Please see the Visual Studio Tools for Xamarin section in the release notes and the Visual Studio 2018 Q3 Roadmap for information about the .NET (Xamarin) Mobile Development updates. To get these new versions, update Visual Studio 2017 to version 15.8. The corresponding update for Visual Studio 2017 for Mac is not yet available but will be published soon.

Bug reports wanted

• Please Report a Problem if you see any new issue with these versions or any errors in the release notes.
  • See also the Feedback section in the release notes.

• HortinzHortinz GBMember ✭✭

Hi @BrendanZagaeski , how can we revert to the previous version? There's too many bugs on this release to use it in production but I'm afraid I've done the update already.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

This set of stables is a disaster! Avoid it. In the VS for Mac updater please make the links for release notes selectable and clickable so we can read up on it prior to install. Also there was no mention of the removal of the MSBuild option. There was no mention for those of us that had mcs.exe from a prior workaround in the csproj to remove it that it would break your build. VS for Mac locks up, gives spinning wheels, crashes frequently when compiling. A huge regression for what was a very stable run of stables.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the feedback! As a quick clarification, I should mention that this forum announcement is intended purely as a notification. For discussion about any issues with the latest Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac releases or release material (or about the Xamarin SDK versions in those releases), be sure to engage with the community and the team on Visual Studio Developer Community using Report a Problem for Visual Studio or Visual Studio for Mac.

Hi @BrendanZagaeski , how can we revert to the previous version? There's too many bugs on this release to use it in production but I'm afraid I've done the update already.

The best option at this time is to create a support incident by going to Technical Support > Product: Visual Studio > Assisted Support on https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/support/ and then selecting Visual Studio Community/Professional/Enterprise 2017 for Mac.

But for this exact request, I've now messaged you some links for the previous versions to save the time of creating a support incident.

(Side note: There are some plans to align Visual Studio for Mac more closely with Visual Studio for availability of older downloads on a dedicated page in the future, but that page hasn't been made available quite yet.)

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it only me or every time I want to debug, i have to press debug button twice. first attempt always hangs and building button progress bar is not even appearing at the buttom. 2nd attempt is working.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Is it only me or every time I want to debug, i have to press debug button twice. first attempt always hangs and building button progress bar is not even appearing at the buttom. 2nd attempt is working.

I suspect you might be seeing:
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/319616/vs2017-v158-build-hangs-if-files-not-manually-save.html

A potential workaround mentioned on that item:

A temporary workaround until we find a fix for the underlying issue is to uncheck "Automatically check for missing packages during build in Visual Studio" under Tools | Options | NuGet Package Manager.