Unable to Load SDK Information Android SDK Manager in Visual Studio 2017

djrpascudjrpascu USMember ✭✭

I am running Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (Version 15.5.7). I am coming from a corporate network and when I try to open the Android SDK Manager, I see the error - "Loading SDK component information failed. Please retry". (Sorry, I can't insert photos yet.)

When I connect my machine to a connection outside of our corporate network (on LTE hotspot), I am able to load and view that screen without problem.

I suspect our corporate firewall is blocking something. We tried tracing connections coming out of my machine while trying to open that screen and hitting retry. We were unable to see anything.

Does anyone know where I can find more detailed logs on this error on my side? Or what URL specifically it may be trying to reach out to? I need to know specifically which URL it's trying to access to get the networking folks to create the exception.

I did find this:
<Unfortunately, I'm not able to post links yet, but it's to a Microsoft URL that describes whitelist of URLs for Visual Studio/Azure>

We confirmed that everything under the "Install Visual Studio" section are whitelisted (both Microsoft and non-Microsoft domains).

Thanks!

Answers

  • PeterMVPeterMV USMember ✭✭

    have you tried to open the SDK Manager as Administrator?

  • djrpascudjrpascu USMember ✭✭
    edited March 2018

    @PeterMV Yes, I've tried that with no luck. I've tried that by running VS 2017 as admin, also by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin\AndroidSDKManager\AndroidSdkManager.exe and trying to run as admin.

  • MattListMattList NZMember ✭✭

    Yeah I am also getting the same issue behind a corporate internet connection. I've looked into the connection and where it is going with our server team. I can see its going through my proxy fine but what i suspect is happening is that its being stopped because its not checking for any user validation. (To use our proxy at work you need a valid user account. I can't pin point exactly why but to me it feels like its not asking for my users credentials. So the only way i can currently get around it is to log into our guest network and then it works perfectly. Not ideal but a workaround until someone finds out more.

  • SeuleuzeuhSeuleuzeuh Member

    Yeah, i have the same issue.
    In the previous Android SDK Manager we had parameters to set proxy configuration.
    Can you plan this feature soon :) ?

  • djrpascudjrpascu USMember ✭✭

    Another work around that seems to work for me is if you have Fiddler installed, just open and run it. Not sure why it works, but maybe it's setting the proxy configuration correctly with Fiddler open since Fiddler chains to the default proxy?

  • AngelHernandezAngelHernandez AUMember ✭✭
    edited August 2018

    It's a .NET app so it must abide by the rules of CLR. If you add a config file and specify a default proxy you'll be Ok.

    Just create a config file and call it AndroidSdkManager.exe.config and add the following:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
     <configuration>
           <system.net>
              <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" >
              </defaultProxy>
            </system.net>
     </configuration>
    

    Regards,

    Angel

  • AngelHernandezAngelHernandez AUMember ✭✭

    It's not letting me post any XML regardless of whether I escape it.

    Just add defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials equals true under system.net section

    Regards,

    Angel

  • MaximAlexeyevMaximAlexeyev USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2018

    I have similar issues even on my home network. Tried to disable firewall, re-installed Visual Studio completely - nothing helps. Running Fiddler doesn't help either, even though I see problem in Fiddler.

    Anyone had any progress?

  • JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited August 2018

    @AngelHernandez said:
    It's not letting me post any XML regardless of whether I escape it.

    For code/xml, leave a blank line before code and indent code a minimum of four spaces. I fixed your initial post and deleted the duplicates.

  • djrpascudjrpascu USMember ✭✭

    @AngelHernandez said:
    It's a .NET app so it must abide by the rules of CLR. If you add a config file and specify a default proxy you'll be Ok.

    Just create a config file and call it AndroidSdkManager.exe.config and add the following:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
     <configuration>
           <system.net>
              <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" >
              </defaultProxy>
            </system.net>
     </configuration>
    

    Regards,

    Angel

    where do we add the config file?

  • AngelHernandezAngelHernandez AUMember ✭✭

    @JGoldberger said:

    @AngelHernandez said:
    It's not letting me post any XML regardless of whether I escape it.

    For code/xml, leave a blank line before code and indent code a minimum of four spaces. I fixed your initial post and deleted the duplicates.

    Thank-you kindly, sir

    Regards,

    Angel

  • AngelHernandezAngelHernandez AUMember ✭✭

    @djrpascu said:

    @AngelHernandez said:
    It's a .NET app so it must abide by the rules of CLR. If you add a config file and specify a default proxy you'll be Ok.

    Just create a config file and call it AndroidSdkManager.exe.config and add the following:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
     <configuration>
           <system.net>
              <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" >
              </defaultProxy>
            </system.net>
     </configuration>
    

    Regards,

    Angel

    where do we add the config file?

    The folder where AndroidSdkManager.exe is.

    I think it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\AndroidSdkManager

    Regards,

    Angel

  • TedRogersTedRogers USMember ✭✭✭✭

    I couldn't get this to work with the changes recommended above so I changed to the Google repository and Voila, it worked!

  • AmroOsama.1516AmroOsama.1516 SAMember ✭✭

    @djrpascu said:
    Another work around that seems to work for me is if you have Fiddler installed, just open and run it. Not sure why it works, but maybe it's setting the proxy configuration correctly with Fiddler open since Fiddler chains to the default proxy?

    I'm used to do that a lot, the client I work for is using a proxy, and the IT guys are a pain to deal with.
    So using fiddler sometimes saves the day :wink:

Sign In or Register to comment.