vs2017 15.8.4 community - debugging not showing variable values on hover when paused

I am running my app in debug and when I navigate over an object and try to inspect the object I cannot... the only thing I can do is open the locals tab and view from there. I even repaired visual studio and when I attempted again after this to view objects no luck. Anyone else seeing this issue?

I tried opening another project type web application and no issues there.

Best Answer

Answers

• LeoJHarrisLeoJHarris NZMember ✭✭
    Thank goodness hopefully wel see fix soon. But really, pushing a release when these kind of issues exist or perhaps they didnt test! Makes me really wonder sometimes.
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeoJHarris said:
    Thank goodness hopefully wel see fix soon. But really, pushing a release when these kind of issues exist or perhaps they didnt test! Makes me really wonder sometimes.

Sorry for how this sounds but... So are you saying the programs you write never go out with any problems even in the slightest? Come on. None of us write programs that are totally flawless - Especially on the size and scope of Visual Studio. And Visual Studio is capable of so much, and has so many features that even if only 1% of 1% of them have a flaw it still becomes a noticeable volume.

To be fair - on the flip side - however yo want to put it. DataTips are kind of an in-your-face feature that was working code. One would have expected the first round of testing to reveal that problem. Personally I'd kind of figure testing to go like this...

• "We're ready to release the next update"
    • "Ok. Great. You install it on your machine first and use it for a week."
    • 2 days and 3 build increments later
    • "Uh... Now we're ready to release it."
    • "Yeah, through so."
    edited September 2018
    @ClintStLaurent Yeah fair enough, I would've thought some testing procedure would have discovered this issue, didn't take me more then a minute to figure something wasn't right, but hey that's me... and at least visual studio is still working :)

I've shipped out programs with issues and when discovered we would issue a fix, depending on the nature of the issue it might have been reviewed how the issue went undiscovered and then procedures were put in place to ensure it didn't happen again but then again I was in small company size as the developer and QA tester on applications on tight deadlines, I was certainly not a qualified QA tester by any stretch of the imagination.

Guess these things are always bound to happen but simple testing procedures go along way, not too suggest Microsoft doesn't already have one.

> @ClintStLaurent said:
    > * "We're ready to release the next update"
    > * "Ok. Great. You install it on your machine first and use it for a week."
    > * 2 days and 3 build increments later
    > * "Uh... Now we're ready to release it."
    > * "Yeah, through so."

Agreed... sorry dont know to properly quote on the forums :neutral:

@LeoJHarris said:

Agreed... sorry dont know to properly quote on the forums :neutral:

or... Copy/paste a bit of text... select it... chose "quote" from the menu

@ClintStLaurent thanks!
    @JohnHair While I'm on the subject of broken functionality, are you having an issue where it keeps jumping back to the current debug line when you navigate around the project when paused in debugging.
  • JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeoJHarris said:
    @JohnHair While I'm on the subject of broken functionality, are you having an issue where it keeps jumping back to the current debug line when you navigate around the project when paused in debugging.

Yes, and I believe that is also fixed in the next release. Fingers crossed...

cc: @JohnHair , @LeoJHarris
    Funny y'all mentioned that. I saw this for the first time on a co-worker's machine. One machine out of a dozen, all on the same version of everything; his does it and nobody else's does. What the heck is that all about? It did seem to jump only if the mouse was moving: When he took his hand completely away from mouse it didn't seem to happen.

cc: @JohnHair , @LeoJHarris
    So the guy here with that spotted something. VS rolls back to the breakpoint when you hover over something to open the run-time value DataTip. As long as he just scrolls and navigates around without causing it to pop open a datatip value it doesn't bounce back to the breakpoint.

edited September 2018

@ClintStLaurent That is weird. Makes me wonder how these things even happen. Unexplained. Reminds me of the time I literally got so P.o.'d at my home machine for not booting properly I kicked it fairly hard and magically it rebooted successfully lol.. although I don't advise this as a first option haha

@JohnHair @ClintStLaurent New VS update woohoo!

@LeoJHarris said:

0815hrs - Done installing... Giving it a whirl (build 15.8.5)

• Makes me update the build mac to include iOS 12 (for the emulators I assume)

Looks like it works. I notice that the new plus/minus on the datatip is gone, and replaced with the previous triangle you click to expand. I'm guessing they deactivated whatever new cool feature they added, that broke it. Going back to the previous working function.

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

@LeoJHarris said:

Yes, looking much better so far... B)