Start of Build/Clean/Rebuild Hangs After 15.8.1 Upgrade

Hey all,

I recently upgraded to visual studio 15.8.1 from the version prior to 15.8.0 (I skipped the 15.8.0 update). I have a Xamarin project that I checked out after so and when I build it, it just hangs after it initially says starting build... or even on the clean and rebuild options. The repository I checked out has quality gates it has passed including being able to build and in production - so in theory it should just build and run upon checkout. I suspect that this new version has reintroduced this bug: bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21313

Thanks!

Best Answer

• MicrosoftMicrosoft ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

All my issues went away with 15.8.3 update. In addition I had to add permissions to a couple DCOM components that for some reason had lost permissions. To solve I used a mixture between process monitor and event logger to determine the permission issues that were lost when I upgraded to 15.8.1.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the same issue with a new "Welcome to Xamarin" solution?

• MicrosoftMicrosoft Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Do you have the same issue with a new "Welcome to Xamarin" solution?

Looks like it's fine for a default project.

So it is something solution specific.
    At least now you know and have a direction to continue researching.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    So it is something solution specific.
    At least now you know and have a direction to continue researching.

I don't consider checking out source that was building a few days ago; to not work due to an update to Visual Studio a non-issue. So be it - I will continue to fight yet another Xamarin bug.

Don't know what to tell ya - its not a systemic issue because you don't see thousands of people having hte same issue.
    I've been updating with each version of Visual Studio and am in a TFS environment, and haven't has builds fail due to updating.

I've had a few warning about version mismatches because a nuget gets updated in 2 out of 3 projects etc. But that's not from updating Visual Studio.

Have you tried manually cleaning all the projects?
    delete the bin and obj directories of all the projects.
    Build ONE PROJECT AT A TIME.
    Then rebuild solution.

• I am having this issue. Visual studio freezes for about a minute and a half at a time for no apparent reason. I cant seem to get stuff done. I will be downgrading most likely

• I am having this issue. Visual studio freezes for about a minute and a half at a time for no apparent reason. I cant seem to get stuff done. I will be downgrading most likely

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

If you're having issues with performance, please use Report a Problem and submit a problem with the 'Recording' of your issue:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/how-to-report-a-problem-with-visual-studio-2017?view=vs-2017#record-a-repro

This is by far the best way to help us diagnose this situation.

Accepted Answer

All my issues went away with 15.8.3 update. In addition I had to add permissions to a couple DCOM components that for some reason had lost permissions. To solve I used a mixture between process monitor and event logger to determine the permission issues that were lost when I upgraded to 15.8.1.