Professional Profiler?

JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

I hope this isn't a rude question. What do you use for profiling your Xamarin.Forms app? So far, I'm not finding the Visual Studio profiler particularly useful, and I'm willing to buy a better one that works well with Xamarin.Forms. Any suggestions?

Answers

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

What are you missing in the Xamarin Profiler? If you let us know, we might fix it :)

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

@RodrigoMoya The biggest thing I'm missing is the ability to see which method calls or activities in my app are eating up time. Perhaps this is already there and I can't find it? Thanks.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Ugh sorry for not answering earlier, I was going to and indeed started to write an answer, but seems I got sidetracked and completely forgot to get back :)

So yes, indeed sampling information is not enough to see where the time is being spent unless there's some managed code doing a lot of CPU work, if that's not the case, sampling shows lots of time is spent on unmanaged trampolines/runtime code.

We are, though, working hard on improving that, so should have some preview soonish with this new work. I'll try to remember to ping you when they're public so that you can early test if you want.

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

@RodrigoMoya That would be great, thanks!

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

The profiler is good I have to say, it's unfair it's only available to enterprise, as a previous enterprise Xamarin customer it was understandable the extra tools were held back but it's not the case now given the changes in ownership, SMB/Enterprise should benefit from direct support but don't hold this tool back, it causes a lot of resentment in the community from my experience.