Intents, ads, forms in CocosSharp

Hi,

I did not know in which forum to post this question. Finally I chose this one, because I think the main issuea are related to CocosSharp.

I am learning Xamarin, because I would like to make some grahpically simple games. At first I will make only Android version. Hopefully, it will evolve to iOS (and Windows), too.

At first I started with Xamarin android app which uses SkiaSharp for canvas drawing (in shared project). I had doubts that it will be fast enough, so I started a little research about efficient canvas drawing and found about CocosSharp, which has many features, which would be very useful for my app.

The decision about the platform is pretty important at the beginning. If I am going to change to CocosSharp, I have clear out some things that bother me:
1. As I understand after reading some guides, CocosSharp has one screen (Activity). All game transitions, settings, navigation, menus has to be done with CocosSharp within that screen. Physics, ParticleExplosions, etc. are things that would take more of my time in classic canvas drawing than user interface for navigation, buttons, menues, etc. in CocosSharp. What are my options for regular content like credits, settings, ads, etc. in CocosSharp? When I found about CocosSharp, I thought it can be just as one activity in my app, but that cannot be done, right?
2. The important part of planned game would be to select an image from the phones storage or to take a picture with phones camera, and use that picture in the game. It was really easy to do that in Xamarin Android app with intents. Can something like that be done in CocosSharp? As I understand games runs in its RunGameLogic, which is different than classic application with activities and intents. Can I use intents to take a photo, select an image, or to share screenshot of a game?
3. Letterboxing is another issue for me. The game should show the selected image in the background, so that the image keeps aspect ratio. Since images can be of different sizes the borders shall be dependent on the image and not on the scene dimensions. I think I could manage to resolve that with NoBorder or Custom CCSceneResolutionPolicy.

Maybe some of my questions would be answered just by examining all CocosSharp examples from github. However, GoneBananas, did not work out of the box in VisualStudio 2017. I started it eventually, but did not bother yet with all other examples.

Thanks for answers and suggestions
Marko

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer

Hi,

after some more reading I see CocosSharp is dead. In my opinion, planning a new development using CocosSharp is not a good idea.

I would say that pages like CocosSharp 2D Game Engine in Microsoft Docs are misleading. There should be a disclaimer that CocosSharp is not maintained any more.

Regards
    Marko

Answers

• markohrastovecmarkohrastovec Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

after some more reading I see CocosSharp is dead. In my opinion, planning a new development using CocosSharp is not a good idea.

I would say that pages like CocosSharp 2D Game Engine in Microsoft Docs are misleading. There should be a disclaimer that CocosSharp is not maintained any more.

Regards
    Marko