User Settings UI

DaveCarsonDaveCarson GBUniversity ✭✭✭

I'm creating a Forms app and need to add some user settings.

While I can see that James Montemagno's excellent Settings plugin will allow me to store the actual values I need I can't see that Xamarin.Forms provides any mechanism for generating the UI.

I could create a simple view with my checkboxes etc and bind up my Settings class (backed by the Setting plugin) but I don't know if Apple will have an issue with this implementation - they have there own App Settings section etc.

In Android I've used the PreferenceScreen xml and Activity to generate this but I've not done so in iOS to date.

I'm currently assuming that I need to create a Custom Renderer and/or platform specific logic to generate the actual UI but don't really want to go down that road only to find out that I've missed something obvious.

So - how do I create the User Settings UI in a manner that is consistent with each platform? Am I missing something built into Forms or is this a Custom Renderer/Platform Logic solution?

Thanks in advance :-)

Best Answers

• DaveCarsonDaveCarson GB ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks @ClintStLaurent - I had seen references to using the TableView for setting pages which made sense but I was wondering if Apple would enforce the use of their 'Settings' app.

Investigating a little more it seems that may not be be the case - as described in the Apple documentation here and here.

It states;
    "Because each app’s preferences are different, the app itself is responsible for deciding how best to present those preferences to the user, if at all."

Basically it says - do it yourself, or at least that's how I'm reading it ;-)

Answers

• DaveCarsonDaveCarson GBUniversity ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks @ClintStLaurent - I had seen references to using the TableView for setting pages which made sense but I was wondering if Apple would enforce the use of their 'Settings' app.

Investigating a little more it seems that may not be be the case - as described in the Apple documentation here and here.

It states;
    "Because each app’s preferences are different, the app itself is responsible for deciding how best to present those preferences to the user, if at all."

Basically it says - do it yourself, or at least that's how I'm reading it ;-)