Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Database exists, but path to it does not. How is that possible?

I use Visual Studio Community on a Mac. I am testing the People database app from Xamarin University, course XAM160. The iOS project creates a database here: /Users/(myusername)/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/B9981834-C5FA-4711-A063-A90EB9EC59C5/data/Containers/Data/Application/8A1DEF28-6E77-49E9-A288-24FA58B29FE3/Documents/../Library.

But, boy, am I unable to find that path. The (misnamed) Finder displays no Library folder under Users/(myusername). Elsewhere the Finder shows me a Library/Developer folder but there's no CoreSimulator folder under that.

But no question, the database has been created somewhere, because I stored data in it and then retrieved it next time I ran the app in the simulator.

Would appreciate an explanation!

Best Answers

• ScottPendletonScottPendleton Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Not quite. This worked for me (after you pointed me in the right direction!):
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Answers

That's too bad, because I'd like to use other software to examine the SQLite database that my app created!

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@ScottPendleton @JohnHair You can find your simulator's sandbox on your mac. Your mac will hide the system folders for security consideration as a default setting.
    Use the code below in your Terminal to show these folders up: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true. If you want to hide them change the true to false.
    Then restart your Finder to see these folders.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandLu said:
    @ScottPendleton @JohnHair You can find your simulator's sandbox on your mac. Your mac will hide the system folders for security consideration as a default setting.
    Use the code below in your Terminal to show these folders up: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true. If you want to hide them change the true to false.
    Then restart your Finder to see these folders.

Thanks LandLu, that's good to know!

Accepted Answer

Not quite. This worked for me (after you pointed me in the right direction!):
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES