Xamarin Installation Not Working

• kidovatekidovate USMember

I have the same issue on Windows 8 64 bit. Thank you for the file from Dropbox!

• nousgoalsnousgoals AUMember, University

@DaveHunt, thanks for that, found the error instantly. It states that the problem is 'MonoDroidSDK' is missing from the feature list.
    Actual error: " DEBUG: Error 2711: The specified Feature name ('MonoDroidSDK') not found in Feature Table."

I'm installing on Windows 7, where should I get MonoDroidSDK (i.e. does Xamarin supply one or should I go searching around, also will installing randomly actually fix the problem? if it is not a part of the Feature Table doesn't that indicate an error with the installer?)?

• HighsteadHighstead USMember

Initial Installer on the site failed instantly. Older version seems to install but fail for android...

I expect because i'm running Visual Studio 2013?

• WynApseWynApse USMember

Can't install on 8.1

I get the "Welcome" box, hit next, and it just goes away.

-Dave

edited October 2013

@MichaelHighstead, same thing happens for me (latest version fails, older fails on android). I'm running VS2012 so I don't think that is the problem (or at least not the only problem).

From checking your install log, you have the same problem has I have (posted above). You're missing the MonoDroidSDK, I'm still waiting on a reply.

How do we go about getting a Xamarin team member in here to at least tell us what is going on and when they expect it to be fixed. It appears as though many people are being affected by this (I'm assuming there are more people who aren't posting).

• homeropatahomeropata HUMember

Same problem here. It seems the archive is corrupt.

• yorikyorik ITMember

Same problem after a fresh installation of Win 8.1 Pro, VS2013 Pro

• SilhouetteSilhouette ZAMember

I have the same problem

• JaroslawKozdonJaroslawKozdon USMember
    edited October 2013

i'm experiencing massive problems as well...

tried it for a few hours now and still no success:

1. "main" installer fails on 3 machines:

1.1 laptop with windows 7 x64; visual studio;

1.2 PC with windows 7 ultimate x64; no development tools

1.2 virtual machine with windows 7; (main developing machine where i tried to install the software, actions taken will follow)

2. i tried to use the manual installation for windows, even though most information there is a little bit outdated, i've installed java sdk, installed android sdk

3. after preparing above used XamarinStudio-4.0.13-38.msi and it (of course) failed... saying that i need gtk with version at least 2.12.22 - so i installed the freshest gtk2-runtime-2.24.10-2012-10-10-ash.

and i'm still getting an error.

4. tried the forum information and found some clues, including the one with dotnet45... nothing helps. log (not from xamarin directory, but the temp one! thanks @MikiWatts) attached

• jcsaezjcsaez ESMember

Actually I tried the old installer posted by @Zenton and it works up to Visual Studio Addins.

I tried to start with Xamarin Studio, but it doesn't build properly.
    Does anybody test it? Should Xamarin Studio work?

• JamesCorryJamesCorry USMember

I'm having problems too, nothing happens after I click through the initial window. Has the installer recently changed? I installed it on my work pc a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. I thought it might be down to using Windows 8.1 but it seems not as my work pc was on 8.0 when I installed and still works fine after the 8.1 upgrade. Any ideas?

• DaveTDaveT DEMember

Unfortunately I'm joining the ranks of the people having problems installing Xamarin.
    Setup starts, welcome screen, UAC acknowledge, nothing.

My system configuration is Windows 8.1 Professional and Visual Studio 2013 Professional.

• DaveTDaveT DEMember

Forgot to attach the installer log.

• JasonBSteeleJasonBSteele USUniversity ✭✭

Still no update from Xamarin? Come on guys at least let us know whether you acknowledge that there is an issue and that you are looking into it!

• amilleramiller USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Everyone!

I'm really sorry that you are running into an issue with the installer. The good news is that the team is aware of the issue and are working on correcting it. In the meantime, if you could write into [email protected] for further assistance, we should be able to help get the software installed on your workstation. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the info @AllieMiller.

Thanks @AllieMiller

To all,

Is everyone who gets the error

DEBUG: Error 2711: The specified Feature name ('MonoDroidSDK') not found in Feature Table."

in their log trying to install it on a PC with VS 2013, or VS2013 AND VS 2012?

@JasonBSteele not a problem!

Are you getting the error (Error 2711) when installing directly from the msi files or the unified installer?

• jcsaezjcsaez ESMember

Installer worked for me this time! Please try it!

@AllieMiller I am using the exe, but I think I may have got confused between the two different errors I ma getting. The error I am getting for the latest installer (which closes silently) is actually this:

[0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]i336: Acquiring container: WixAttachedContainer, copy from: D:\Downloads\XamarinInstaller.exe [0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]i000: Setting string variable 'WixBundleLastUsedSource' to value 'D:\Downloads\' [0DE4:2780][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to extract all files from container. [0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to wait for operation complete. [0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to open container. [0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to open container: WixAttachedContainer. [0DE4:17E4][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e312: Failed to extract payloads from container: WixAttachedContainer to working path: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\{ce920643-b2f9-471c-8a62-824e45ae6622}\C80445528E608624BF3C6297F11ED2EF437DA039, error: 0x80004005. [0DE4:29EC][2013-10-25T20:36:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed while caching, aborting execution.

This is as my original post above. Thanks

• 2stroke2stroke CAMember

I have just tried installs on my Win7 computer and a fresh Win8 computer. Both failed in exactly the same way as described above. I would love to evaluate the software....

• jKeyjKey CNMember

I have tried install on win7, win8.1 and win server 2010. Unfortunately, they were failed.
    After I clicked the "Continue" Button, nothing happened.
    Then I found this topic, and I download the old installer from @Zenton.
    I was happy to enter the installation interface, but it was failed.

• EdwardCaulfieldEdwardCaulfield CHMember ✭✭

I had a similar problem even though .Net 4.5 was installed. After killing both installation processes the installation dialog was shown and said that I needed a proxy for the Internet connection. After selecting "use system proxy" the installation continued. As a new user, I hope the rest of my Xamarin experience isn't as problematic as the installation. Doesn't bode well....

• DaveTDaveT DEMember

Thanks @AllieMiller and the Xamarin team, the installer is working again.

• jcsaezjcsaez ESMember

I did the same manual install. I use JDK 1.7.realese45 instead JDK 1.6. I followed steps 1 to 3 and after that I run the installer. It worked for Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2010. I used normal user for installation.

Thanks for posting that @JasonBSteele :)

This looks to be consistent with a few other InstallLogs I've seen related to the error. If you e-mail into co[email protected] we should be able to help you get everything installed properly.

• It will not run neither on XP nor Win7

• OmOm GBMember

XamarinInstaller.exe fails to install on my windows-7 pro 64bit. Please see the attached log file. Any idea on why this is happening.

Thanks in advance
    om

• ShayneBoyerShayneBoyer USMember

I did a clean install yesterday, after doing a complete uninstall due to the update not giving me the project templates in vs 2013. After the new install VS 2012 is fine, Xamarin studio is fine, but still no project temlates for iOS or Android in 2013. I have even tried copying the Project templates, extensions and item templates from 2012 and still no luck...

Any idea?

• TimothyRisiXMTimothyRisiXM USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2013

Hello @ShayneBoyer,

When you did the fresh install yesterday, were you using the unified installer? There was an issue when it was first updated that it wasn't installing the VS2013 support. This was fixed and the current unified installer has the 2013 support. You can also try using the individual installers for the stable builds:

Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio 1.8: http://download.xamarin.com/MonoTouchforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.iOS_Setup-1.8.361.0_signed.msi

Xamarin.Android 4.10.1 - http://download.xamarin.com/MonoforAndroid/Windows/mono-android-4.10.01068_signed.msi

Using the individual installers, you should be able to use the Change option when you run it (assuming you already have the extension installed, since you said it works in 2012) and add the 2013 support without having to uninstall and reinstall from scratch.

Hope this helps,
    Tim

• ShayneBoyerShayneBoyer USMember

@TimothyRisi

Ah here is the key! You must use the direct downloads as you posted, and select the "change" option for each; iOS and the Android msi. Then select the support for Visual Studio 2013 and select run all from my computer and click go.

• larrylubmanlarrylubman USMember

Why are we being asked to email support? The purpose of a support forum is so that community can care in a solution. From reading this thread, I have no idea what to try because we're either getting told to email support or "hey it works now" from people who have emailed support.

Can't we share a little more detail publicly?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

@larrylubman,

Umm. Only one person in this entire thread was asked to email support and I don't see anyone saying "I emailed support and they fixed my problem".

Also, note that this thread was started back in February, so the information you see in most of the posts are completely unrelated to the latest batch of problems people are having.

edit - ok. I see a post where the support team asked people to e-mail them. That's because there were issues that required different solutions for different people depending on their specific situation. And that was for a different version anyway.

• larrylubmanlarrylubman USMember

As I mentioned in another thread, I am having the exact same problem as several other people. In that thread and others, I saw many replies from Xamarin staff for people to email support for help. It occurred to me after reading the same thing in this thread to pose the question, so I wasn't basing my comment on only this thread as you seem to have concurred by reading another thread as well. I'm just not sure why there'd be any good reason to keep a potential solution that might help others off a forum except to minimize bad exposure.

But I digress... it seems that there is something seriously wrong with the Xamarin install. There are permission problems and even with the manual install there are workarounds that must be used to get it to complete. The manual install also appears to be out of date and even after I get it to complete, I don't have a good feeling that it is installed correctly. I'm trying to evaluate a product and the install experience alone does not represent well at all.

I had mono for android installed previously and from what I gather, that may be a factor but I did a complete uninstall and still no joy. I'm on Win 7 x64, Visual Studio 2013.

Considering that Microsoft and Xamarin are partnering through MSDN, I'd think that an install issue like this would be a high priority. I hope that a new install package will be released to resolve the issue or that a clear solution gets posted somewhere on this forum.

• AllanNielsenAllanNielsen USMember
    edited November 2013

day 5 take 10, so far I have not been able to install and evaluate this product.
    what a shame, got the same issues and other people... I give up.

• MitchKiradyMitchKirady USMember

Hey guys, I figured this out. Got the same issue as you yesterday, on Windows 8.1... tried the installer a few times, and it would just disappear once the first screen went away. Solution was to turn UAC (User Account Control) to the 2nd level from the top, and reboot. Initially, I had UAC turned off completely, and apparently that was unacceptable.

• sualexmelsualexmel COMember
    edited June 2014

windows 8.1 you just make a right clik , select compatibilty option and next . it will select windows 7 compatibility , and it will work

• sarahzohar88sarahzohar88 USMember

Can you explain properly please how can install it..................

• vinay.joshi.ngivinay.joshi.ngi USMember
    edited July 2014

Hi
    I install xamarin first and all tools . Xmarin is not showing in my visual studio .then I unInstall all component of xamarin .When i was trying to reinstall it then it is showing error .. Please suggest me what to do.. I am not able to install xamarin again..

I am sending you my error logs and Error file attachments . Please suggest