Xamarn.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage did not load correctly

Hi there;

I have just got into Xamarin, and am installing it on my Laptop running Windows 8.1
Everytime I have attempted to launch VS 2010,2012,or 2013 i get the same error (it's in the title of the thread)

Once the VS is able to launch the Xamarin account login isn't available in the tools tab.
This doesn't happen on my desktop machine that is running windows 7, and all the same three VS suites

is anyone else going through the same issue? or does anyone know how to resolve this?

Please help :)

Thanks all

Cheers
Sanka

• Hi,

I'm having this same issue and have tried uninstalling / reinstalling Xamarin and Visual Studio. I also used all of the devenv /flags to reset/restore.

I'll keep poking, but if you solved this, please let me know.

• Hi Patrick;

Sorry to hear you are having the same issues.

I was able to resolve the issue with some help from the admins at xamarin dev.
    this is what i did.

1. I uninstalled all instances of Xamarin, including the studio, android sdk.
    2. I went through the registry and to my best I removed any references to Xamarin.
    3. I gave C:\ProgramData\Mono for Android\ write permissions to my user account
    4. I restarted my machine
    5. I installed the xamarin package (installed everything that pertains to my lic.)
    6. I launched the VS 2012 in admin mode and it all worked out.
    7. I closed VS 2012, and started it up again in regular mode, and again it worked out fine.

I think it had to do with the permissions, when vs2012 is launched as an admin all the plugins and entities get installed properly and then all subsequent launches as a regular user works out fine.

home this works out for you :)

keep me posted, and good luck

Cheers
    Sanka

• AndersFredborgAndersFredborg DKMember

Hi,

I tried your approach, But still im getting an error in regular mode. It works fine i Admin mode.

Kinda dissapointing, since we just spend a lot of money on this product, and it cant even install itself properly!

Error

VisualStudio
    SetSite failed for package [XamarinShellPackage]
    {2D510815-1C4E-4210-BD82-3D9D2C56C140}

80004003 - E_POINTER
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Error
    VisualStudio
    End package load [XamarinShellPackage]
    {2D510815-1C4E-4210-BD82-3D9D2C56C140}

80004003 - E_POINTER
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  • DerekHagenDerekHagen USMember ✭✭

I just ran and installed an update for xamarin and got the following error:

The 'XamarinShellPackage' package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file 'C:\User......\ActivityLog.xml'

How can I fix this without uninstalling everything and doing reinstall?

• DerekHagenDerekHagen USMember ✭✭

I also get:
    The 'XamarinIOSPackage' package did not load correctly.
    and
    The 'XamarinAndroidPackage' package did not load correctly.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@DerekHagen

Same here. 3.11.576 installs okay though.

<entry>
        <record>464</record>
        <time>2016/06/29 16:07:04.920</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [XamarinShellPackage]</description>
        <guid>{2D510815-1C4E-4210-BD82-3D9D2C56C140}</guid>
        <hr>80131602</hr>
        <errorinfo>Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.</errorinfo>
      </entry>

Did you find a solution for this?

• deceasedecease RUMember ✭✭

Hi,

I had the same issue and this is the solution for me:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1123745/setsite-failed-for-package-microsoft-visualstudio-editor-implementation-editorpackage
    I've just removed all files from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache folder.

• PhilippeBourquePhilippeBourque CAUniversity ✭✭

@decease your are a life saver!

I had this problem after updating to last beta that is compatible only with xCode 4 beta.

• Hi Decease, i have this problem, but you solution dont work for me, some body have any solution?