Visual studio code support ?

mighty84mighty84 NLMember ✭✭

Will Xamarin support Microsoft Visual studio code just like its Windows Version.

Answers

• bastetWangbastetWang USMember

visual sutdio code is a "chrome browser" wrapped a lot of javascript, i think it's a toy.
    it's nothing todo with visual studio.

• mighty84mighty84 NLMember ✭✭

Thanks for the information

• KeithRomeKeithRome USUniversity ✭✭

VS Code is primarily targeted at web stack developers. As such, I would think native mobile device compilation and debugging would be very far down the list of scheduled features to be added. I would expect to see Cordova support in VSC before the ability to integrate with Xamarin.

• AhmedAlejoAhmedAlejo USMember ✭✭

According to this post it work limitedly on a mac
    http://mikebluestein.com/2015/04/29/visual-studio-code-with-xamarin-on-a-mac

• PierPier MXMember

I'm trying to use VSCode with a blank Xamarin project but I get this error in VSCode

[ERROR:OmniSharp.MSBuild.MSBuildProjectSystem] Error initializing task MakeDir: Could not load file or assembly 'Xamarin.iOS.Tasks.Core' or one of its dependencies
    [WARNING:OmniSharp.MSBuild.MSBuildProjectSystem] Failed to process project file '/Users/pier/Projects/TestHTTP/iOS/TestHTTP.iOS.csproj'.
    [ERROR] Error: Failed to start OmniSharp

Any ideas?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@gerard1

There is no official support for Xamarin in VS Code and Xamarin has made no announcement regarding any work being done in that area. I'm afraid you're on your own if you want to go down that path.

• I have not found any info online about Visual Studio Code supporting Xamarin. However, the regular Visual Studio completely supports it, you can buy Visual Studio Professional for several hundred dollars, and also there is a free version called Visual Studio community edition that is free to download and use. I would definitely try that.

Also, if you a business startup, you can sign up for a special program called BIZSPARK, the gives you a free MSDN subscription and also Azure access for free for 3 years. Great program. You can also keep any software you install on your machines after the subscription ends.