problem in the activation of Xamarin

marcos.lcostamarcos.lcosta USMember

I'm having problems activating Xamarin in visual studio . The Xamarin asks to activate, then I go to my account and it starts activating , it asks to restart visual studio visual studio and then when it opens , it starts activation again and restart visual studio and restart again .. infinite times .

It all started in the business when I had to reinstall windows on the machine that I work with in developing Xamarin and ultilizei Xamarin my account on another machine . Then when my first machine returned to normal functioning , visual studio installed , downloaded the SDK libraries , so I try to enter my account and starts giving the problem I mentioned above.

Also already deactivated the license on the website of Xamarin , existed three licenses , including my computer before reinstalling windows , I disabled the 3 and rebooted with the account Xamarin in visual studio . The problem continues . The machine I reinstalled windows continues with the same name .

• AntoineBeckerAntoineBecker FRMember

Same here.
    Maybe the activation server took an arrow in the knee...

• JensRumstichJensRumstich ✭✭ DEMember ✭✭

I also got problems this morning after upgrading to 4.2... It shows tons of "timeout" messages when trying to activate.

after going back to 4.0.xx it claims my license expired. While I am over the 12 monthes of updates I so far thought the license is forever and I am just excluded of updates! Was that "detail" changed without me noticing?

• marcos.lcostamarcos.lcosta USMember

hello JensLindenberg,

you installed the version 4.0.xx and it worked?
    you said you had problem when installed with the license of Xamarin, I fear the same thing happen here, my license still has a few months.

• AdamIvanczaAdamIvancza USMember

Same here...

I went back to 4.0.xx using time machine (mac os)... Doesn't work either :(

in the XamarinStudio4.2 changelog they say that the activation process changed from browser based to a XS internal solution. therefore I thought it might work going back to an older version...

I am sitting here and nothing works... Don't know what to do... seems there are others with activation problems :(

I've had problems with uninstall and reinstall another version of Xamarin, especially an earlier, generally gave axml render the problem ... I'll try to get back to last version 4.8.xa wearing this machine

please keep us informed if it works...
    I go to lunch, maybe I can get some work done after that :-/

worked activation Xamarin when I installed version 4.8!!!

thank you !!!

I'm using windows 7 with visual studio 2012

• AdamIvanczaAdamIvancza USMember

I installed the new update and it works! Hooray :). They removed the activation window, you have to login at your browser again.

I can install this new version over the 4.8 and will not have problems?

edited November 2013

When I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.10 there was a problem in filling the dropdown list which shows the emulators and connected devices on the machine, I undid this facility, and to be working normal with 4.8 but there was a problem to render my axml not yet know what can be =/

• ForceMagicForceMagic ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

I installed every last update for Xamarin.Android and iOS, I still have the issue, it says that I must connect to the internet to activate the licence. But ofc, I'm already connected.

See my other post : http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/10140

• PJBeamanXPJBeamanX Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi everyone,

We're having some intermittent issues with the activation service, which is what @ForceMagic is seeing and what @marcos.Icosta and @AntoineBecker were seeing earlier today.

We're working hard to get it back up and running smoothly, thank you all for your patience.

PJ

• ArnoldKruminsArnoldKrumins AUMember

same issue here..nightmare!

• DavidLiebermanDavidLieberman USMember

Having the same problem. It keeps telling me to connect to the internet.

• cheesecheese USMember

Ditto.

• BrettAnthonyBrettAnthony AUMember
    edited November 2013

Ok, looks like its backup and running...just logged in and activated ok. However, this worries me? I CANNOT use this software unless connected to the internet?? I sometimes work disconnected, I just tried activating, shutting down XS then pulling the plug and restarting XS and its back to Starter edition, guys this cant be right? I at least need a day or two of offline use before another activation! I suppose this could be related to the Activation server.

Edit...
    Ok looks like theres a hotfix coming out to resolve this..
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16199
    Got me worried then, I dev on the laptop a lot disconnected.

• mhutchmhutch Xamurai USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The new activation system does periodically check the license against our activation servers to make sure it's up to date - for example, if you renew on the Xamarin Store, your IDEs will get the license expiry updated automatically.

However, it does still support offline use - if the server cannot be reached, then it skips the check and continues to use the license you have on disk.

Unfortunately, an outage in the activation server today triggered an bug in the IDE activation code that caused it to delete the local license files. We've fixed the server issue in the server, and we're in the process of making a hotfix for the IDEs so that they won't deactivate if there's another server outage.

• SpoiledTechieSpoiledTechie USMember

Activation is crashing my Visual Studio. Just got everything up to date. Each time I login to Xamarin, it crashes.

Getting this error when trying to activate. Please help.

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors)
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.d__8a.MoveNext()
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.DisplayWorkflowStep(ActivationWorkflowStep step)
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.<>c__DisplayClass13.b__12(Task t)

• BrettAnthonyBrettAnthony AUMember

No worries Mic thanks for your help. I can only assume its been "organised chaos" at Xamarin HQ the last few hours...can I suggest a good double bourbon and coke for stress relief...lol.

• RichWRichW USMember

How long is the offline grace period?

@RichW: Currently it's valid until the license expires.

@BrettAnthony: thanks, sorry for the inconvenience!

@SpoiledTechie: are you still having that issue? We've made some fixes to the activation server.

@mhutch yes I am. Now, its not even letting me login to the activation server....

• GarekGarek DEMember

Problem still persists

Xamarin.Components.Ide.ApiClients.ActivationException: Missing data.
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors)
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.DisplayWorkflowStep(ActivationWorkflowStep step)
    at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.<>c__DisplayClass13.b__12(Task t)

• BernhardGlueckBernhardGlueck ATBeta

Also experiencing the same problem as RoyDeisting

• Liger_JeromeLiger_Jerome ✭✭ FRUniversity ✭✭

I'm using Windows8x64 + VS2012 + Xamarin(iOS + Android) and the activation has been done.

All was Ok until this morning a prompt ask me to Update Xamarin.iOS (1.8.361) and Xamarin.Android (4.10.1) :

• Click to Download (Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS in the same Time)
    • Click to install (Xamarin.Android in first)
    • Restart...

When VS restarted, an error dialog appear (image attached, sorry I'm in French version ;-))
    And after this first error, the "Xamarin Activation" form opens :
    I submit my account informations and the error you describe on this topic :

à Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors)
    à Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService

And now I can't develop (Android Project and iOS project "error incompatible") and Xamarin Activation down....

Next time, I'll do a snapshot of my VM before doing any update of Xamarin components !

• RudaRuda ✭✭ BRUniversity ✭✭

Roswell,

Friend those are constant problems.

In a year, I can tell you that half the time in development was to solve problems in Xamarin than to develop the system.
    Regrettably they rush to release updates to stay equal to the SDK (iOS, Android), but leave out little things that are constant and make the developer to solve by reinstalling or restarting or other crazy things over.

I can tell you that I reached the point of stopping a stay three months because he could not develop in MonoDevelop because the double quotes did not work.
    I had to keep copying from notepad to MonoDevelop.
    This bug was in MonoDevelop for more than one year (there are reported the bug).

• amilleramiller Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @Garek @BernhardGlueck @Roswell

I'm sorry that you are running into an activation error. We believe that this is caused by only one of the two extensions updating properly.

You should be able to get everything set up properly by updating both plugins. Here are direct links to the stable builds:

Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio 1.8: http://download.xamarin.com/MonoTouchforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.iOS_Setup-1.8.361.0_signed.msi

Xamarin.Android 4.10.1 - http://download.xamarin.com/MonoforAndroid/Windows/mono-android-4.10.01068_signed.msi

If after updating the error message remains, we'll need to take a further look at the issue. Can you get the versioning information about which versions of the extensions are installed by navigating to Visual Studio->Tools->Extensions and Updates. Please then e-mail them into [email protected] for further assistance. Thanks!

Hi @AllieMiller,

Thanks for your quick response, but unfortunatly it doesn't work...

I've download your direct links and reinstall these two plugins.

When I launch VisualStudio, all is OK and I can get the versions of these plugins (VS->Tools->Extension and Updates).

But when I open my CrossPlatform Solution, the form "please login with your Xamarin Account pops-up... and I don't get the time to enter my logins that VS show me an error (attached) and restart... and I try again and the same...

What can I Do ?

edited November 2013

Ok, I resolved...

I created a new iOS project -> the Xamarin Account Login pop-up and no VS errors...
    So I logued-in and delete the project.

Now I can open my crossplatform solution !!!

Pffiouuuu... what a work :-)

Thanks @AllieMiller.

Ps : I had to re-match my MacHostBuild too...

• DavidLiebermanDavidLieberman USMember

I'm still having this error:

I have been unable to develop for the last day because of it and have a deadline. Is there anyway to download the license and put it in the correct location manually?

@Garek, @BernhardGlueck: It sounds like you're using VS, and one of the Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.Android addins has been updated but the other has not. Could you please try reinstalling both XA and XI?

• patlaplantepatlaplante USMember

I am trying to activate my windows machine (in vs2013) it is telling me that too many machine are activated... If I go to deactivate computer, I have none showing up!!!!

I LOST a full day because of this problem. Couldn't develop on iOS or Android at ALL yesterday. @mhutch, no offense but time is MONEY. Can you guys please look into only requiring activation if we build/publish the app? I should still be FULLY capable of typing code out and yesterday sadly, I wasn't.

@SpoiledTechie: I'm very sorry about the activation server downtime and the client-side deactivation bug that it triggered. We are doing our best to make sure that this does not happen again.

VS support is one of the major features of Business edition, so it requires activation, else it would be possible to use an Indie license to edit a project in VS and build it XS. However, you can edit in XS without any activation at all.