Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Using a .NET Framework 4.5+ Based Common Library with Xamarin Cross-platform Mobile App?

If I create a library based on the .NET Framework 4.5+, can I used it as a shared library in a Xamarin Cross-platform Mobile App by referencing it in each platform?

Answers

• alaskanroguealaskanrogue USMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I tried and the UWP project wouldn't allow the referencing of new DLL because of the .NET Framework conflicted with its .NET Standard usage. The Android and iOS projects didn't complained, but I am not sure why. Is there something that I do to get around this limitation?

• BillyLiuBillyLiu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@alaskanrogue

According to this official documentation, .NET Standard need .NET Framework version >4.6.1.
    The .NET Standard is a formal specification of .NET APIs that are intended to be available on all .NET implementations.
    If you want to create a shared library in a Xamarin Cross-platform, it's better to use .NET Standard.

• alaskanroguealaskanrogue USMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

It appears when Windows 10 Mobile version 16299, or some higher version, is released, that there is a release of Microsoft.Azure.NotificationHubs in beta that supports .NET Standard which could then be used.

Does anyone have any timeframe for perhaps a Insider release of that OS version?

Otherwise, it appears I would have to use the Notification Hubs REST Interface.