Xamarin Insights is closing, what to do?

JesperBaltzersenJesperBaltzersen ✭✭DKUniversity ✭✭

I'm having a hard time finding out how and where to move our crash/metrics.

I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer:
1. How do we get our data?
2. Is there a solution (maybe VS app center?) that offers the same features and thus an easy migration path?
3. Are there better alternatives than just tracking the same stuff (Events, OS, usage etc.) with another provider or another approach?

Any suggestion is much appreciated, thanks.

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

From the email I got about xamarin insights shutting down

App Center will be the future of Microsoft’s mobile app analytics and crash reporting services going forward. It combines features from several mobile-focused development and lifecycle tools, including HockeyApp and Xamarin Insights, and its Analytics and Crash services are completely free.

In conjunction with this focus on a more coordinated developer service, we will complete the transition and shutdown process for Xamarin Insights on March 31, 2018.

The team is working hard to close any remaining feature gaps between Xamarin Insights and App Center. We are currently focused on adding support for Handled Exceptions, which will be operational in advance of the Xamarin Insights shutdown..

Recommended Actions

As of March 31, 2018, Xamarin Insights will be fully retired, you will no longer be able to collect or view any Xamarin Insights data, and the service will be terminated.
    If you have not already done so, please create a free Visual Studio App Center account at appcenter.ms/signup.
    Familiarize yourself with the relevant App Center documentation and integrate the App Center SDK into your apps.
    If you have transition questions, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can help you define a smooth, minimally-disruptive transition process during the remaining window of operation.

• ValentinBaudotValentinBaudot ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Hi kentucker,

I used to spot exceptions from a specific user in Xamarin Insights, from the user's email, as it is the login in use my app.

How can I find errors from a specific user in App Center ??
    I can't find it in Diagnostics > Errors.

Thanks

• ethanwjonesethanwjones ✭✭ Member ✭✭

@JesperBaltzersen said:
    I'm having a hard time finding out how and where to move our crash/metrics.

I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer:
    1. How do we get our data?
    2. Is there a solution (maybe VS app center?) that offers the same features and thus an easy migration path?
    3. Are there better alternatives than just tracking the same stuff (Events, OS, usage etc.) with another provider or another approach?

Analytics can do way more than that now. A solution that has both the regular metrics like you mentioned but also tools like user session recordings and touch heatmaps can give you a lot of really great insights and it'll mean a lot less time and guesswork on your part. For us that tool was Appsee, really recommended.

https://www.appsee.com/