Forum General

Azure notify app when element inserted into table

Cdn_EuroCdn_Euro Member ✭✭✭

The idea is we have a mobile app backed by an azure database. I am wondering if there is any way to send a notification to the mobile app in case an element has been added to a specific table. The app will receive this notification, check what value has been inserted into that azure sql table and then make a decision whether to send a warning to the app user or not, like a push notification.

Can this be achieved and if yes how ? Any help is appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@RRazvan

The quick start guide for using Xamarin and Azure Push notifications does just that. When an item is added to the To Do list, a notification is sent. So you should be able to see how it is done by looking over this guide and the related code:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/data-cloud/push-notifications/azure

• Cdn_EuroCdn_Euro Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

@JGoldberger Thank you very much for that link, it definitely helps. I am still confused about one thing.
    The information I need to send to the mobile app users is contained in a text file that will be received into a folder from an external source. Looks like I need to create another app that monitors that folder, uploads the info into the azure table and from there set up the notification hub that will alert the mobile users. I am not sure what kind of app this will be that would monitor that folder and upload to the Azure table(s) that are the back-end for the mobile app. I feel like things are becoming more and more clear but still missing some pieces, and again I am new to Xamarin and mobile app development. Would this other app be an ASP.NET project, like a web server? What is the best suggestion?

• Cdn_EuroCdn_Euro Member ✭✭✭

Thanks @JGoldberger . I appreciate it.