How to open multiple instance of Visual studio in MAC

ArvindrajaArvindraja INMember ✭✭✭

Hello,
How can i open more than 1 instance of Visual Studio in MAC desktop. I am not finding any way to do that. Thank you :smiley:

Best Answers

Answers

• ArvindrajaArvindraja INMember ✭✭✭

@AndyDent it is working fine but fearing for any side affects :wink:

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

Try not to build / debug both at the same time and you should be ok @Arvindraja

• https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1562929/how-can-i-launch-multiple-instances-of-monodevelop-on-the-mac/45994200#45994200

You can find your question's solution here i had posted this issue solution ,
    you can replace "/Xamarin\ Studio.app " to "Visual\ Studio.app" and at the end of command "Visual\ Studio1" replace this one .

• TimothyRisiXMTimothyRisiXM USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 2017

You can also create an apple script (Script Editor.app) to launch a new instance, using:

do shell script "open -n '/Applications/Visual Studio.app/'"

Save it with file format Application and you can put it on the doc, or in the applications folder or whatever and click it to launch a new instance whenever you need one. I've never noticed any side effects from running multiple instances side-by-side.

• ArvindrajaArvindraja INMember ✭✭✭
  • CaptainXamtasticCaptainXamtastic GBUniversity ✭✭✭

In addition to my comment above, I think it is worthwhile looking at the command line options for the open command, it is very useful indeed, a case of always look at the api when doing something new:

$ open
    Usage: open [-e] [-t] [-f] [-W] [-R] [-n] [-g] [-h] [-s <partial SDK name>][-b <bundle identifier>] [-a <application>] [filenames] [--args arguments]
    Help: Open opens files from a shell.
          By default, opens each file using the default application for that file.  
          If the file is in the form of a URL, the file will be opened as a URL.
    Options: 
          -a                Opens with the specified application.
          -b                Opens with the specified application bundle identifier.
          -e                Opens with TextEdit.
          -t                Opens with default text editor.
          -f                Reads input from standard input and opens with TextEdit.
          -F  --fresh       Launches the app fresh, that is, without restoring windows. Saved persistent state is lost, excluding Untitled documents.
          -R, --reveal      Selects in the Finder instead of opening.
          -W, --wait-apps   Blocks until the used applications are closed (even if they were already running).
              --args        All remaining arguments are passed in argv to the application's main() function instead of opened.
          -n, --new         Open a new instance of the application even if one is already running.
          -j, --hide        Launches the app hidden.
          -g, --background  Does not bring the application to the foreground.
          -h, --header      Searches header file locations for headers matching the given filenames, and opens them.
          -s                For -h, the SDK to use; if supplied, only SDKs whose names contain the argument value are searched.
                            Otherwise the highest versioned SDK in each platform is used.

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 2018

You can also use a full path to the app bundle:

open -n /Applications/Visual\ Studio.app

I use that very often myself, in case you have multiple Visual Studio on your machine and you want to specify which one.

Ah, that's nice in the case you have multiple versions on your machine!

I think I'd quite like to build myself a cheat-sheet of all app names and paths, let's face it, on the mac CMD - SpaceBar gives one a command line, I'd rather the bash any day!

I should mention that having more that one Visual Studio installed side-by-side is very very unsupported and you get to keep the pieces when things break. You still have global SDK installs (Xamarin.Mac, Xamarin.iOS) so it's less useful than you think, but I generally have a few when I'm testing things.

I also tend to know the sharp edges from experience. :)

I'm not sure what unsupported means in this case :D as I've been using multiple instances for years, in one way or another, typically I'm viewing one but building another, I've got over 24 apps in the stores now and I've always found having a couple of instances open to be very useful ... they just work, so long as only one is building at a time, and my typical use might be to open a second to bash out a quick prototype to run something up, or even just to open a previous app to see how I did it then. In the later case I am really just using the second or third instance as an editor to read a previous solution so that I can do some quick cut and paste.

Multiple instances of the same VSfM works totally fine, it's just multiple different VSfM installed side by side that isn't.

And that still mostly works, I just wanted to be clear that that isn't the supported "happy path".

Ah, explained, nice!