"XCode is not installed" message when trying to pair Xamarin Mac Agent

JimboJimbo Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Visual Studio

I am trying to pair my Visual Studio 2017 running on Windows to a mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13 that has XCode 9.2 (9C40b) (with same version of commandline tools) and Visual Studio for Mac 7.5.3 with Xamarion.iOS 11.12.0.4 installed.

When opening the Xamarin Agent dialog, I can see my mac in the list but when trying to connect it gives an error saying that XCode is not installed?

I have done a wide variety of recommended troubleshooting for vaguely similar problems online that mainly involve deleting various temp files.

Here is the last few lines of the log:

Uploaded IDB.zip 100%
Starting Agent Build 4.8.0.753...
Starting Agent IDB 4.8.0.753...
Agent Build 4.8.0.753 is running
Xamarin agent: Build 4.8.0.753 started
Agent IDB 4.8.0.753 is running
Xamarin agent: IDB 4.8.0.753 started
Starting registered Agents: ...
The Agents have been started successfully
Performing server validations against 'James’s iMac'...
Validating Xamarin iOS compatibility between local and remote versions...
Validating Mac operating system version compatibility...
Validating Xcode license state...
Performing server validations against 'James’s iMac'...
Connection to 'James’s iMac' completed successfully
Xcode is not installed. Please install it and try to reconnect or select another server to connect to.
Starting disconnection from James’s iMac...
Starting disconnection from James’s iMac...
The connection to 'James’s iMac' has been finished

I am at a bit of a loss as to what might be going on?

Could it be because this is not the latest version of XCode? (that requires me to update macOS)
Ideally, I would want to avoid having to update macOS.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Best Answers

• JimboJimbo ✭✭
    edited June 2018 Accepted Answer

Okay, so my last post was correct.

After a quick google of how to move things on macOS I moved XCode into the default App location and was on my way.
    This was a painfully simple solution to something I've been struggling with for hours.

To me though, this looks like it might be a bug in Visual Studio?

Before connecting to the mac, I was unable to set a custom path to XCode as the option was grayed out - but before setting a custom path to XCode I was unable to connect to the mac, if that makes sense?

After fixing my connection issues I was then able to un-tick the Use default Xcode path box and write in my own but it was too late at this point.

Apologies if this thread with me talking to myself is cluttering the forum but hopefully it might help someone with the issue who was hopelessly googling it as I was.

It does seem as though the behaviour of this setting box should be changed on the off-chance someone is unable to move their XCode install for whatever reason.

Cheers,

James

Answers

• JimboJimbo Member ✭✭

I've just seen that in the Visual Studio Tools > Options > Xamarin > iOS Settings menu there is an option under Apple SDK that looks like it should allow me to write in the location of XCode on the Mac - but is greyed out and can't be interacted with.

Could this be of use?

In order to install the not-most-up-to-date version of XCode I downloaded it using Safari and not through the App Store, and it looks as though Xcode was installed into my Downloads folder instead of where all the other apps are?

I should also mention that I'm a complete amateur when it comes to macOS and still have a pretty poor understanding of how to navigate the file system structure using the Finder app.

• JimboJimbo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018 Accepted Answer

Okay, so my last post was correct.

After a quick google of how to move things on macOS I moved XCode into the default App location and was on my way.
    This was a painfully simple solution to something I've been struggling with for hours.

To me though, this looks like it might be a bug in Visual Studio?

Before connecting to the mac, I was unable to set a custom path to XCode as the option was grayed out - but before setting a custom path to XCode I was unable to connect to the mac, if that makes sense?

After fixing my connection issues I was then able to un-tick the Use default Xcode path box and write in my own but it was too late at this point.

Apologies if this thread with me talking to myself is cluttering the forum but hopefully it might help someone with the issue who was hopelessly googling it as I was.

It does seem as though the behaviour of this setting box should be changed on the off-chance someone is unable to move their XCode install for whatever reason.

Cheers,

James

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you opened Xcode on the Mac? Their sometimes are some final installation steps that happens after the first time Xcode is run after it was installed

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Hey!

I've forwarded this along to the engineering team to take a look.

Pierce

• JimboJimbo Member ✭✭

ah - fair enough. I am using 15.5.1...

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Ah, right! Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 is 6+ months old, you're probably best using a newer version if possible.

• JuniorligaJuniorliga USMember

HI!
    I have the same problem too. I could not solve