Minimum requirements for MAC required for build process

bh0hibh0hi Member ✭✭

Hello

I am new to mobile development and having read some of the notes and the installation process in XAM101 it says that the development can be done on a Windows machine but the build has to be done on a MAC. We do not own a MAC in our organisation and I need to justify the costs of buying one that will meet the needs to creating apps. Is there a minimum requirement level the MAC needs to be used for the build?

Thank You

Manj

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are just using it for builds you can get a Mac mini or subscribe to a service like Mac in the cloud.

• WasserEsserWasserEsser Member ✭✭

Make sure you don't use an old Mac mini that doesn't support MacOS High Sierra.
    You'll need Mac OS High Sierra if you want to work with new features released in newer iOS versions.
    You'll need to update XCode which requires an OS update.

For simple testing, you can also install MacOS in a virtual machine instead.

• bh0hibh0hi Member ✭✭

It will be just for the build. I have looked at a mac mini (new one) for around £650 inc VAT can get a mid range one that comes with high sierra. There will be 2 developers here so would be nice for a machine that we can both connect to for testing.

• WasserEsserWasserEsser Member ✭✭

We have a Mac mini Late 2014 at work, which is fine for the build process.
    I'm using a virtual machine made available in the network at home for personal apps which is also fine for the build process.

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@bh0hi said:
    It will be just for the build. I have looked at a mac mini (new one) for around £650 inc VAT can get a mid range one that comes with high sierra. There will be 2 developers here so would be nice for a machine that we can both connect to for testing.

Be aware, you cannot both build and debug at the same time to a single mac.

• bh0hibh0hi Member ✭✭

maybe not at the same time but as we sit next to each other we can just coordinate that we build after each other on the same mac correct?

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@bh0hi said:
    maybe not at the same time but as we sit next to each other we can just coordinate that we build after each other on the same mac correct?

Correct. You will each need to log into the mac as and when you need it.

• bh0hibh0hi Member ✭✭

as there have been some good responses ill ask another question but maybe need to start another thread if its more appropriate. The outline of the app I need to create will have a number of different question sets that people can answer (to start just text boxes then I can start to create drop down lists etc) but while answering there will be no internet connectivity. Once there is internet connectivity it needs to upload to a sharepoint online list. Are there any good examples that would have some of this functionality?

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the minimum required processor for iOS builds ? Can you build on 3,06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    12GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM machine if high sierra is installed or best to invest on at least an i5 machine ?

I think you need at least an i5 to develop for the newer iOS versions

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@kentucker said:
    I think you need at least an i5 to develop for the newer iOS versions

why do you think that it is i5 at least? for example an i3 version wont work? which generation of i5 series could be the best fit if we consider to invest on a 2nd hand mac

I guess I should have said any Mac that supports the latest version of xcode.