Visual Studio Emulator for Android going black

clopezclopez ESMember ✭✭

Hello, everyone!

I hope this is the right place to post it.
I'm pretty new with Android developement, so maybe this is a dumb question because a missmatching configuration, or not. I couldn't find info about this anywhere.

I'm developing a multiplatform project with Xamarin v4.10.0.448 and Visual Studio 2017 V15.7.2, and since the last update of VS and Android emulator keeps happening the same issue: when debugging, specially when the app is waiting data from the WebApi and/or have a ListView, the screen goes black. No navigation bar, no soft buttons (back, home...), nothing. But if i push the rotate screen button, it works ok again. So when I'm testing the app, I have to rotate the screen every minute or so, and it's a bit annoying.

I don't know if it's because a bug on the emulators, an incompatibility with the graphic card drivers or what. Is there a list of things to check, from easiest to hardest?

My machine is an AMD CPU, so I can't install Google HW accelerated emulator.

Thank you!

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I would look and see if there is an updated video driver. Also there is a preview of a new type of hyper-v emulator maybe you can use that.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/05/08/hyper-v-android-emulator-support/

• clopezclopez ESMember ✭✭

I don't think the video drivers were updated, but the Windows Server through Windows Update. I didn't work too much with "server" branch od Windows, but I think the drivers are updated as usual (doesn't they?), and we didn't download them since... Maybe is about time to do it ^^U

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and thanks for pointing to the new Android emulator. I don't know if it will work in Server 2012 but I'll check and/or suggest the change.