Xamarin printer

devgendevgen CHMember ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to know if it possible with XF to install a "new printer" on a device when you install the app.
I mean that the app can receive documents to send somewhere else just selecting "print" from any application and choose the installed print.

Thanks

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

So you want your app to be the virtual printer that other apps can print to ?
    Like any of the numerous webpage printers, or PDF printer apps?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/search_results_cluster_apps?clp=ggERCg92aXJ0dWFsIHByaW50ZXI=:S:ANO1ljJDZ6w&hl=en

• devgendevgen CHMember ✭✭

Exactly a virtual printer that other apps can print to.
    That's because I need that other apps can sends documents, and the virtual print has to send to document (via web services) to a remote queue...and than a server process will query the queue..

edited June 2018

Do you have to re-invent the wheel though?
    There are so many of those already.

Anyway - to answer the original question..
    Sure... You should be able to do that in Xamarin. Basically anything you can do native you can do in Xamarin. You'll probably end up making the front end settings etc. in the shared project, then have some platform-specific code and services in Android and iOS projects because each of those OSes are going to do low-level work differently.

No I don't have to re-invet the wheel....I need to integrate this feature in an existing app that manage lots of other information.

Ok. But the virtual printer part. That's not the existing app, right? That would be a stand-alone. The other apps would see it as the printer. So the two are separate, right?

So are you creating the other app... or the printer app... or both? ANd does the printer app need to be any more than just the virtual printer: Because if it doesn't you can save yourself a cr[email protected] of work by using an off-the-shelf virtual printer/remote queue app that already exists.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Sure... You should be able to do that in Xamarin. Basically anything you can do native you can do in Xamarin. You'll probably end up making the front end settings etc. in the shared project, then have some platform-specific code and services in Android and iOS projects because each of those OSes are going to do low-level work differently.

Do you have any URL or documentation from where I can start?

And if the virtual print app does have a bunch of specific features and code such that only your other app can use it... Then why make a separate app? Just do it all from your app and send it off to the webservice. Far less complicated interaction.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    And if the virtual print app does have a bunch of specific features and code such that only your other app can use it... Then why make a separate app? Just do it all from your app and send it off to the webservice. Far less complicated interaction.

No, any app that has a "print" feature can print on the virtual printer.
    The app that I need to develop must have some feature and in addition must install this virtual printer in order to make any other app to send document selecting the virtual printer.

@devgen said:
    Do you have any URL or documentation from where I can start?

On? How to make apps? how to do services in android? MVVM?

I really doubt you're going to find a tutorials specifically on "How to make a virtual printer that queues jobs to go to your specific web service" If you break down your needs into smaller parts, you should find plenty of documentation on each part. Android and iOS have been around for years. And Xamarin is pretty well documented, despite how much we all b!tch that we want more.

If you're new to Xamarin then Xamarin University. But this might be a bigger project than you want to start with.
    If you're new to coding in general, this is definitely more than you want to start with.

@devgen said:
    The app that I need to develop must have some feature and in addition must install this virtual printer in order to make any other app to send document selecting the virtual printer.

More and more this sounds like malware. maybe its just the vague description. But if there is no need for a specific virtual printer and any one will do then why torture yourself by re-inventing what exists already 100 times over?

As a user, the idea that an app is also going to install their virtual printer for the purpose of sending off my possibly vital data to some unknown server... Oh heck no... no way am I going to install that.

@ClintStLaurent said:

@devgen said:

More and more this sounds like malware. maybe its just the vague description. But if there is no need for a specific virtual printer and any one will do then why torture yourself by re-inventing what exists already 100 times over?

As a user, the idea that an app is also going to install their virtual printer for the purpose of sending off my possibly vital data to some unknown server... Oh heck no... no way am I going to install that.

No malware, nothing like that! Why you have to think about this???
    I need to develop this feature for my customer request!

I'm absolutely not new to Xamarin nor to programming, I'm developing since more than 15 years.
    I just need to understand if there are starting point for creating virtual driver in Android and iOS....nothing more.

I'm not reinventing the wheel nor writing a malware...this is just what I have to do as asked from one of my customer...and it makes a lot of sense for his business.

Why you have to think about this???

Because in today's world you have to think about this with everything.

I'm absolutely not new to Xamarin nor to programming, I'm developing since more than 15 years.

I just need to understand if there are starting point for creating virtual driver in Android and iOS....nothing more.

Then I'm surprised you didn't google it. There seem to be a few articles on similar topics.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=android+making+virtual+printer+app&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Even existing SDKs for it
    https://github.com/mobileprint/android-print-sdk

But cool then, with 15 years experience it shouldn't be a problem.

this is just what I have to do as asked from one of my customer...and it makes a lot of sense for his business.

Okay. Like I said: Vague descriptions and all. No worries mate. Best of luck with it.

I found this URLs and also the "android-print-sdk" (but I guess it's a library to make easier to print from your app to an existing printer).
    I'm trying to understand if there are ready starting point...but I guess no...for now

• morphynnmorphynn Member ✭✭

I'm joining to this question. I need too that my app can appear in the printers list so other apps can send docs to my app and I could process them there.
    How could I do that? Is it possible?