Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

rikihanksrikihanks Member ✭✭

Hello everyone, im facing this error when trying to install an update for my aplication from ADB, i get an "application not installed" when trying to do it directly from android".
I know this is caused because of the app itself already being installed... but here goes my question.
If i ever publish this app to google play and i roll an update to the play store, will it fail to install from the app Store too? Or do they automatically uninstall older versions of the app before upgrading?
I'm confused, i dont want to publish my app withouth being sure that it wont fail the first update I roll.

Thanks everyone who can answer me.

Btw: I upgraded my version number in android manifest, still not working. its because package name but i think its stupid to have to rename the package with every update

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

its because package name but i think its stupid to have to rename the package with every update

You don't.

If i ever publish this app to google play and i roll an update to the play store, will it fail to install from the app Store too?

No. It will be seen as an update. Done it many times.

when trying to install an update for my aplication from ADB,

What exactly is the command you're sending?
    You don't want to install if its already installed. Its an update.
    All I ever do for this kind of testing is copy the .apk to the Download directory on the tablet. That's allowed even by Droid permissions. Same as when you send the .apk to someone else as an email-Which is handy for testing.
    Then execute the .apk from there. That is automatically seen as an update by android.

• rikihanksrikihanks Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

@ClintStLaurent said:

its because package name but i think its stupid to have to rename the package with every update

You don't.

If i ever publish this app to google play and i roll an update to the play store, will it fail to install from the app Store too?

No. It will be seen as an update. Done it many times.

when trying to install an update for my aplication from ADB,

What exactly is the command you're sending?
    You don't want to install if its already installed. Its an update.
    All I ever do for this kind of testing is copy the .apk to the Download directory on the tablet. That's allowed even by Droid permissions. Same as when you send the .apk to someone else as an email-Which is handy for testing.
    Then execute the .apk from there. That is automatically seen as an update by android.

It is, indeed, seen as an uptade from android, but when trying to install I get an error "App not instaled". So I go to adb to check for more info and i get the "install failed already exists"
    The command I use to install from adb is adb -s device install myapp.apk
    I thought it wouldn't be a problem, in fact android tells me it's an update but it wont installl it succesfully