Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Data recovery library for iPhone?

zbrajiuzbrajiu USMember

I am preparing to build a cross platform data recovery app with Xamarin, mainly for iPhone users. However, i switched from web programming and know little on this issue. Does anyone know free or paid third party library on this? thanks

Answers

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the limited access to files outside of an app's own sandbox, I'm not sure general data recovery in an iOS application would be practical if not outright impossible.

• zbrajiuzbrajiu USMember

@DaveHunt said:
    Given the limited access to files outside of an app's own sandbox, I'm not sure general data recovery in an iOS application would be practical if not outright impossible.

thanks for the reply. I am sure it's possible as I saw a couple of programs to do that. It's a desktop program not an app

@zbrajiu said:

It's a desktop program not an app

Well that's a horse of another color.

I'm not aware of any libraries for that. Sorry.

@DaveHunt said:

@zbrajiu said:

It's a desktop program not an app

Well that's a horse of another color.

I'm not aware of any libraries for that. Sorry.

It's ok, thanks

@Daucnklly, thanks . It seems the program built with QT and maybe need a commercial lisence to get the code. I will try to reach the vendor. thanks for the suggestion

@Daucnklly said:
    There are many iPhone data recovery application out there, if you're skilled enough, you can unlock that software and get the library.
    See this program:
    http://www.mobiledic.com/ios-topics/retrieve-text-messages-iphone.html

and this program:
    http://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/tutorials/recover-data-from-iphone-without-backup-mac.html

You can download them and analyse them.

That is probably not the best idea. The company whose code you "borrow" might not appreciate it.

• daniellee425daniellee425 CNMember

@zbrajiu said:
    I am preparing to build a cross platform data recovery app with Xamarin, mainly for iPhone users. However, i switched from web programming and know little on this issue. Does anyone know free or paid third party library on this? thanks

Hey, I suggest you try Gihosoft Free iPhone Data Recovery. This freeware can recover deleted photos, videos, contacts, messages, WhatsApp, Viber, notes, and more data.

The OP isn't looking for a data recovery app. He's looking for a library to help in creating his own app.

• veronanaqqqveronanaqqq USMember

Indeed the recycle bin, and using Windows Explorer to look in folders; the programs you used are not designed to search for files; especially programs like Elements, which uses a catalog is not what you need now. Moving files confuses PS Elements organiser enough to make it seem like you lost files, while they're actually there. When things go wrong, use the basic tools provided in Windows itself (explorer, search).
    For file recovery programs, I've use [url=http://www.passwordmanagers.net/Iphone-Manager.html]Best Iphone Data Recovery Software[/url]
     on a few occassions; it's free and it works as good as can be expected. The main thing is to stop using the external hard disk until you use this tool, and avoid writing any files to it.

Indeed the recycle bin, and using Windows Explorer to look in folders; the programs you used are not designed to search for files; especially programs like Elements, which uses a catalog is not what you need now. Moving files confuses PS Elements organiser enough to make it seem like you lost files, while they're actually there. When things go wrong, use the basic tools provided in Windows itself (explorer, search).
    For file recovery programs, I've use Best Iphone Data Recovery Software

 on a few occassions; it's free and it works as good as can be expected. The main thing is to stop using the external hard disk until you use this tool, and avoid writing any files to it.

• fennaferfennafer AUMember ✭✭

Thanks for your tips.

• fennaferfennafer AUMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Without backup file that you can recover from, I think it is a good method to try recovery tool.
    You can try them to recover iphone data, usually, they can help you get back lost or deleted data from your phone's memory, but remember , don't add more data to your phone after data loss.

• KanssertyKansserty ASMember
    edited May 2017

@fennafer said:
    Without backup file that you can recover from, I think it is a good method to try recovery tool.
    You can try them to recover iphone data, usually, they can help you get back lost or deleted data from your phone's memory, but remember , don't add more data to your phone after data loss.

This reminds me of my lost messages on iPhone last month, fortunately, I promptly restore iPhone messages, i don't usually phone backup data ,unless there are so important to me

• WardsleWardsle USMember

I think the data recovery software and application have the similar operating principle. As I know, those deleted data still exist inside phone but invisibly, and the system will write data over those files in the future which is so-called overwritten. It is a big project to build a cross platform data recovery app. Maybe this tutorial will give you useful clues about it, which is about how to recover deleted data from iPhone.

• RpperaerRpperaer Member
    edited January 2018

@Wardsle said:
    I think the data recovery software and application have the similar operating principle. As I know, those deleted data still exist inside phone but invisibly, and the system will write data over those files in the future which is so-called overwritten. It is a big project to build a cross platform data recovery app. Maybe this tutorial will give you useful clues about it, which is about how to recover deleted data from iPhone.

Tools like this i can find from Google . which is one of the third-party tools

• Therefore, you'd better backup your Samsung text messages beforehand. But if unfortunately you have already lost them, you are no need to panic. As long as you haven't sent or received new text messages with your S6, the lost text messages haven't been overwritten, you still have the chance to get them back.

Samsung Data Recovery program empowers you the ability to recover deleted, lost and formatted text messages from Samsung Galaxy S6.

• hasezshasezs Member
    edited June 2018

@CecicliaGarcia said:
    Therefore, you'd better backup your Samsung text messages beforehand. But if unfortunately you have already lost them, you are no need to panic. As long as you haven't sent or received new text messages with your S6, the lost text messages haven't been overwritten, you still have the chance to get them back.

Samsung Data Recovery program empowers you the ability to recover deleted, lost and formatted text messages from Samsung Galaxy S6.

One thing you need to know , They're talking about the iPhone data recovery not Samsung Galaxy S6 ,You should provide some advice on this ,