Forum Visual Studio

VS for Mac updates downloaded but no option to install

AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Hi - I have a bunch of updates downloaded in the "Visual Studio Update" dialog with the exception of "internet of Things Development Preview 7.5" which always fails to download on every single retry.

There is no option to install the updates that have downloaded, all I can do is close the dialog.
How do I get out of this situation??

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't get the option to install updates until everything downloads, so the failed IoT download is blocking everything else from installing. Have you tried restarting VS, rebooting etc?

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Yup, restarted and rebooted. No luck.
    I had just done an XCode update and now my Xamarin project won't build any more (ibtool exited with code 255), and I cant update it either. Great!

Strange, I just updated and IoT downloaded fine for me.
    You could try switching to the Beta channel, update and install, then switch back to Stable, update and install. Maybe that will clear the issue?

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

So it would seem this is the problem - in the index.xml file that is created in the VisualStudio/7.0/TempDownload folder, it is looking for
    http://addins.monodevelop.com/Stable/Mac/7.4/Xamarin.IoT.Addin-7.5.mpack
    However this file does not exist. Rooting around the website manually I tracked it down to
    http://addins.monodevelop.com/Stable/Mac/7.4.3/Xamarin.IoT.Addin-7.5.mpack
    Unfortunately just copying the manually downloaded .mpack file into the TempDownload folder and rechecking for updates does not resolve the issue, it's still looking for the file in the wrong location...

You could try deleting the temp folder, or edit the index.xml file to look at the correct path.

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Yeah tried that - sadly they just get regenerated in the bad configuration :(

@AntH said:
    Yeah tried that - sadly they just get regenerated in the bad configuration :(

Hmpf.
    Only thing left I can think of is switching channels, downloading, and switching back.

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Get exactly the same failure on the Beta channel too - surely everyone must be getting this too??

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Ok managed to resolve this by manually attempting to install the ioT package via the Extension manager that I had downloaded from the web site (7.4.3) This failed to update from 7.1 so I totally removed the IoT package and tried again. This resulted in a different error due to a lot of 7.5 pre-requisites not being in place (because stupidly, it wouldn't install those until it had successfully downloaded the unavailable 7.4 IoT package - catch 22!)
    However after that attempt, the Updater stopped trying to download IoT at all and I was able to then install all core updates it had successfully downloaded!

It shouldn't be this hard really..,

@AntH said:
    Get exactly the same failure on the Beta channel too - surely everyone must be getting this too??

Obviously not otherwise we would have a LOT more people complaining here. I oversee numerous dev Macs and none of them had this issue.

• AntHAntH GBMember ✭✭

Couple of colleagues had exactly the same problem so here's the procedure to get around it
    1) manually download the 7.5 IoT package from http://addins.monodevelop.com/Stable/Mac/7.4.3/Xamarin.IoT.Addin-7.5.mpack
    2) Select Visual Studio/Extensions... to open the Extension manager. Select Install From File... from the bottom of the dialog and browse to the package you just downloaded
    3) Let the package install - it will throw a bunch of errors/warnings about prerequisites, but eventually will give you an empty progress bar AND a close button. Hit Close.
    4) Go back to Visual Studio/Check for Updates... this will now no longer have the IoT package in the list, and will now have the Restart and Install button!!

• ValerioSantinelliValerioSantinelli ITMember ✭✭

I've had the exact same issue. Thanks for the hints, it worked a charm!