Looking to buy an ultraportable laptop for heavy Xamarin (iOS and Android) development + gaming

Juansero29Juansero29 USMember ✭✭
edited June 2018 in General

I recently posted this on reddit trying to get a recommendation. I will also post it here, maybe some of you can give me some advice

Total budget and country of purchase:
3500€ or ~ $4,100. I could buy it from the United States, but if it was available in Europe it would be easier.

Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.
Don't care about the factor. If it bends in four parts but does gaming and Xamarin, I'm good with it. I care about it having the best possible specifications. I don't care about battery.

How important is weight and thinness to you?
Very important. Most important I may say. It must be ultraportable. I wouldn't buy any laptop weighing more than 1.9 kilos (4.18 pounds).

Which OS do you require?
Mac and Windows.

Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.
N/A

Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.
Visual Studio 2017, Android and iOS development. Also gaming, I want to be able to play AAA games and support any games coming for the next 4/5 years (replaceable GPU or eGPU).

If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?
Ultra settings. Best everything. Ultra detail, ultra particles. 60fps or more, but ULTRA SETTINGS.

Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
Fairly good build quality. Pretty good touchpad. Don't care about touch screen.

Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

I'm starting a degree focused on mobile app development for 2018/2019. I'm looking for a ultraportable laptop for mobile development with Xamarin and the best performance possible with Visual Studio (which means fastest building, compiling and deploying times possible). I am also a recurrent gamer, so if it was a laptop that handled AAA games, it would be perfect.

I need to have access to both Mac and Windows to develop apps for all platforms and gaming.

I know some of you would think, iOS development = get a mac. But I'm thinking, what about a pretty badass lightweight gaming pc + a cheap Mac for compiling iOS? Our what about a hackintosh? What would you recommend?

Are there any devs out there who find themselves in a similar situation?

If it is a ultraportable with no GPU, I'm good if it has a thunderbolt 3 port in order to set up a rig with an eGPU.

I'm willing to wait a few months in order to buy a laptop. Even until Q1-2019. So if you know about any laptop meeting the requirements coming in the future, don't hesitate to name it.

Any advice?

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to have touch screen you are going to have to use a windows PC. The surface line are nice. If you want to do iOS development you need to use something like Mac in the cloud. If you want to only have one computer you need to get a Mac book