Forum Xamarin.Forms

DatePicker FontSize, etc.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to change the textview's for DatePicker/TimePicker. Has anyone found a way to either turn a label into a datepicker or write a custom renderer that will customize the look of the datepicker. In particular I care about Android first and foremost.

• Hi,

I don't know if you had already the answer for this, but just in case... I had the same issue, and I ended up creating my own DatePicker class (inheriting from DatePicker), and wrote a custom renderer in both Droid and iOS (with the DatePickerRenderer as the base class).

Here's the code in the Droid renderer for the font, considering your control class has a bindable property for the font:
    private void SetFont(MyExtendedDatePicker view) { if (view.Font != Font.Default) { Control.SetTextSize(Android.Util.ComplexUnitType.Sp, view.Font.ToScaledPixel()); Control.Typeface = view.Font.ToExtendedTypeface(Context); } }

Let me know if you need a more complete solution to get you started. I've also implemented the text color, and I am trying at the moment to get some kind of placeholder in there instead of the default date.

Regards,
    Bruno

• SujaBSujaB USUniversity ✭✭✭

Hi

Can i change my datepicker text size in my xaml code.?Is there any other option for this?

• Matthew.4307Matthew.4307 USMember ✭✭✭

@BrunoBarrette said:
    Hi,

I don't know if you had already the answer for this, but just in case... I had the same issue, and I ended up creating my own DatePicker class (inheriting from DatePicker), and wrote a custom renderer in both Droid and iOS (with the DatePickerRenderer as the base class).

Here's the code in the Droid renderer for the font, considering your control class has a bindable property for the font:
    private void SetFont(MyExtendedDatePicker view) { if (view.Font != Font.Default) { Control.SetTextSize(Android.Util.ComplexUnitType.Sp, view.Font.ToScaledPixel()); Control.Typeface = view.Font.ToExtendedTypeface(Context); } }

Let me know if you need a more complete solution to get you started. I've also implemented the text color, and I am trying at the moment to get some kind of placeholder in there instead of the default date.

Regards,
    Bruno

For the Placeholder you can set the Format = "X" at the Forms level, though that is on the assumption you've forked your picker to have a Nullable date so you can determine if there is a selected date or not.

• brianduccabrianducca ARMember ✭✭

@BrunoBarrette could you post the entire solution to solve the datetimepicker / picker problem of fontsize with both iOS & android renderers? Thanks!

• ShubhamAggarwalShubhamAggarwal INMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I dont know if you require the answer now...but just to promote code sharing...please find the answer below without using custom rendering

Create MainPage.Xaml file - add the below code

lt StackLayout Orientation="Vertical" Padding="10" gt
    lt DatePicker x:Name="PickerDate" MinimumDate="05-24-2017" Format="mm-dd-yyyy" MaximumDate="12-31-2050" IsVisible="False" DateSelected="PickerDate_DateSelected" /gt
    lt Label x:Name="DateLabel" Text="Tap to Select Date" FontSize="14" HorizontalOptions="Start" gt
    lt Label.GestureRecognizers gt
    lt TapGestureRecognizer Tapped="TapGestureRecognizer_Tapped_1" /gt
    lt/ Label.GestureRecognizers gt
    lt/ Label gt
    lt/ StackLayout gt

Create MainPage.Xaml.cs file - add the below code

private void TapGestureRecognizer_Tapped_1(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    PickerDate.Focus();
    }

private void PickerDate_DateSelected(object sender, DateChangedEventArgs e)
    {
    DateLabel.Text = PickerDate.Date.Date.ToString("MM-dd-yyyy");
    }

This solved my problem for Android and IOS.

• ShubhamAggarwalShubhamAggarwal INMember ✭✭

I dont know if you require answer now, still i am attaching the code which solves the font size problem of date picker without using custom rendering..

Create MainPage.Xaml file

lt DatePicker x:Name="PickerDate" MinimumDate="05-24-2017" Format="mm-dd-yyyy" MaximumDate="12-31-2050" IsVisible="False" DateSelected="PickerDate_DateSelected" gt
    lt Label x:Name="DateLabel" Text="Tap to Select Date" FontSize="14" HorizontalOptions="Start" gt
    lt TapGestureRecognizer Tapped="TapGestureRecognizer_Tapped_1" gt
    lt Label gt

create MainPage.Xaml.cs File

private void TapGestureRecognizer_Tapped_1(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    PickerDate.Focus();
    }
    private void PickerDate_DateSelected(object sender, DateChangedEventArgs e)
    {
    DateLabel.Text = PickerDate.Date.Date.ToString("MM-dd-yyyy");
    }

This solves problem in Android and IOS.

• shalinasangashalinasanga USMember ✭✭

Custom renderer is the easiest way, without changing any other styling in Date or Time picker

Android
    [assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(Xamarin.Forms.TimePicker), typeof(CustomTimePicker))] namespace YOURNAMESPACE { public class CustomTimePicker : TimePickerRenderer { public CustomTimePicker(Context context) : base(context) { } protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs<Xamarin.Forms.TimePicker> e) { base.OnElementChanged(e); if (Control != null) { Control.TextSize = (float)Device.GetNamedSize(NamedSize.Small, typeof(Xamarin.Forms.TimePicker));//Getting named font size or you can use just number } } } }

iOS
    `[assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(TimePicker), typeof(CustomTimePicker))]
    namespace YOURNAMESPACE
    {
    public class CustomTimePicker : TimePickerRenderer
    {
    public CustomTimePicker()
    {
    }
    protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs e)
    {
    base.OnElementChanged(e);

if (Control != null)
            {
                var timePicker = (UIDatePicker)Control.InputView;
                timePicker.MinuteInterval = 30;//Picker interval set to 30 min

Control.Font = Control.Font.WithSize((nfloat)Device.GetNamedSize(NamedSize.Small, typeof(Xamarin.Forms.TimePicker)));
            }
        }

}

}`

• SteveSykesSteveSykes USMember ✭✭

I really wish we could get past trivial necessary properties like this. This should be built in.

• @SteveSykes said:
    I really wish we could get past trivial necessary properties like this. This should be built in.

It is incredibly unwelcoming that things like this won't work.