need some kickstart advice

zzzxtremezzzxtreme USMember ✭✭

hello guys. I'm trying to learn xamarin.

I've just installed VS Community MAC. Was able to apply provisioning profile, and debug in IOS and Android simulator. Surprising that it's easier than VS for windows !

Currently my company app is using Cordova. Will take sometime to get used to it, leaving the webbrowser/javascript mentality.

1) What makes my head explode is XAML. is XAML the only way to design UI in xamarin ?
2) What component can I use to open camera and read QR code ?
3) What are some good UI components collection that I can download/buy ?
4) which site or book that's best for beginners to learn ? A good tutorial will tell us not only "what" and "when", but also "why"

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

1) What makes my head explode is XAML. is XAML the only way to design UI in xamarin ?

You can build all the UI in C# too. I personally prefer doing it in C#. Here's an example.

return new ViewCell
                    {
                        View = new Grid
                        {
                            BackgroundColor = Color.FromHex("F7F7F7"),
                            HeightRequest = 60,
                            Children = {
                                new BoxView { BackgroundColor = Color.White, VerticalOptions = LayoutOptions.End, HeightRequest = 1 },
                                new Label { VerticalOptions = LayoutOptions.Center, Margin = new Thickness(20, 0, 0, 0), FontAttributes = FontAttributes.Bold }.Bind(Label.TextProperty, ".")
                            },
                        }
                    };

2) What component can I use to open camera and read QR code ?

This is the Plugin for Taking Pictures and selecting media from the Gallery:
    https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/MediaPlugin

This is the Plugin for scanning barcodes (including QR codes):
    https://github.com/Redth/ZXing.Net.Mobile

3) What are some good UI components collection that I can download/buy ?

No need. I've been using Xamarin commercially for about 2-3 years and have never needed to purchase a component. The component store is out of date. But if you're looking for more advanced Xamarin features take a look at Xuni, Syncfusion and a few others.

4) which site or book that's best for beginners to learn ? A good tutorial will tell us not only "what" and "when", but also "why"

I'd recommend Xamarin University.

• zzzxtremezzzxtreme USMember ✭✭

thank you very much for the help. greatly appreciated ! <3