Forum Visual Studio

How do you clear the list of Mac build hosts in Visual Studio?

EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to clear the list of Mac build hosts in Visual Studio? I have tried following the steps here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/get-started/installation/windows/connecting-to-mac/troubleshooting#clearing but it has done nothing.

I can't for the life of me find out where this information is stored. I have done a full Registry search on anything I can think of and have done the same as a brute-force search of all file contents on my C: drive.

Where on earth is this information stored?

I ask because the same mac has somehow become listed twice and it seems to have damaged the reliability of the connection.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Best Answer

• EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I found the following Registry key:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3424376226-2541301984-1016971693-1001\Software\Xamarin\VisualStudio\MacAgent

Deleting this cleaned up the list. It left just one single entry, which is the one that works okay. If you have the same problem, I don't know if deleting this Registry key will always remove the 'right' build host entry, so I'd suggest backing up the Registry before doing this.

• Patrick

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Right-click on the mac you want to forget.
    Select Forget this mac from the context menu

Thanks for the reply @ClintStLaurent. I did do this but the entry remains in the list. Both entries show the same IP address, which worries me a little. Maybe this is has nothing to do with my connection problems. I'm just poking around in the dark (which seems to be normal trying to get Apple development to work at all).

Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't update the list until you have a successful Connect button response???
    Just a guess. Maybe Connect is acting more like Connect & Save, and closing the dialog is acting like Cancel so the delete doesn't get saved.

@ClintStLaurent

Yes, I think your explanation sounds right. I still can't believe that I can't track down where on my machine this list is being stored. You would think it would be a file or a Registry key.

Thanks anyway.

• Patrick

@eazygoingpat
    Probably a value inside a database for the Xamarin VSIX settings - just a guess.

Accepted Answer

I found the following Registry key:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3424376226-2541301984-1016971693-1001\Software\Xamarin\VisualStudio\MacAgent

Deleting this cleaned up the list. It left just one single entry, which is the one that works okay. If you have the same problem, I don't know if deleting this Registry key will always remove the 'right' build host entry, so I'd suggest backing up the Registry before doing this.

• Patrick

Good find. SOunds like the kind of thing for a batch file or a .reg file - so you can have it on your desktop for easy double-click the next time you need it.