Xamarin project code sharing strategy - which one do I choose?

Hey guys. I'm completely new to app development and have unfortunately bought an outdated Xamarin course on Udemy.

When creating a new project, I now only have Cross-platform app(Xamarin.forms) available. When I create a new project, I don't know what to pick. Which code sharing strategy do I choose? Shared project or .NET standard? What does this mean? I've read somewhere that I should have Portable Class Library available to choose, but I've installed absolutely everything I could related to Xamarin and nothing similar is showing.

Best Answer

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent US ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

http://www.RedPillXamarin.com
    My little tutorial site. What I say there is "Choose PCL until you have a specific known need for shared". If you are on VS2017 you'll see ".NET Standard" in place of PCL. Chose that.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

http://www.RedPillXamarin.com
    My little tutorial site. What I say there is "Choose PCL until you have a specific known need for shared". If you are on VS2017 you'll see ".NET Standard" in place of PCL. Chose that.

• Elise28Elise28 Member

Thank you! I just have one more question, can I install Xamarin studio without Visual Studio? I'm not a fan of its bulk and I have some serious crashing issues (even though I'm running it on a pretty powerful machine)

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Xamarin Studio is long out of date and not maintained. You want to stick with Visual Studio.

I have some serious crashing issues

Rather than abandon it, resolve the issues. It does work well. I'm part of a team of 20+ and we don't have "serious crashing issues". Sometimes a hang if I'm doing wireless remote debugging and the wifi goes down - but its not unreasonable to expect Visual Studio to wonder what happened to the app if the network just goes away. That's about the worst that happens.

• quenarquenar Member

Xamarin.Auth.XamarinForms package depends on other packages that just DO NOT WORK with .Net Standard 2.0 !
    Please correct me if I'm wrong

• @quenar said:
    Xamarin.Auth.XamarinForms package depends on other packages that just DO NOT WORK with .Net Standard 2.0 !
    Please correct me if I'm wrong

i also hava same problem