How to resolve ArgumentException: Failed to parse PList data type

JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

After updating Visual Studio to 15.6 today on my Windows PC, and updating Visual Studio and XCode on the Mac, I am getting the following when trying to build my app for iOS. Does anybody know how to resolve this?

AggregateException: One or more errors occurred.
MessagingRemoteException: An error occured on client Build490752 while executing a reply for topic xvs/Build/4.9.0.752/execute-task/MyApp.iOS/e164987002fIBTool
ArgumentException: Failed to parse PList data type:
ArgumentException: Must specify valid information for parsing in the string.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GB mod
    Accepted Answer

It turned out to be that 15.6 of Visual Studio expects XCode to be 9.2, not 9.3. So I had to downgrade XCode on the Mac. What a faff. Have had this before with a Visual Studio upgrade. It really shouldn't be this painful - it should be possible for the pairing with the Mac, or the build process when paired to a Mac, to simply check the XCode version and if it's not the expected one to then provide a nice, clear message explaining that to the user, not a pile of exceptions that give no clue as to the underlying problem. Upgrading to 15.6 has wasted 2.5 days of my time so far, the Android build is still not working, and I still have to re-engineer bits that made use of "components" (not that VS actually tells me which components are an issue, so no help there either). Bad show Xamarin/Microsoft.

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    Accepted Answer

It turned out to be that 15.6 of Visual Studio expects XCode to be 9.2, not 9.3. So I had to downgrade XCode on the Mac. What a faff. Have had this before with a Visual Studio upgrade. It really shouldn't be this painful - it should be possible for the pairing with the Mac, or the build process when paired to a Mac, to simply check the XCode version and if it's not the expected one to then provide a nice, clear message explaining that to the user, not a pile of exceptions that give no clue as to the underlying problem. Upgrading to 15.6 has wasted 2.5 days of my time so far, the Android build is still not working, and I still have to re-engineer bits that made use of "components" (not that VS actually tells me which components are an issue, so no help there either). Bad show Xamarin/Microsoft.

• PhilippGayko.9736PhilippGayko.9736 CHMember ✭✭

Annoying!
    Problem exists with VS for Mac 7.4... When will be this problem solved with the latest stable release?

• GregCadmesGregCadmes USUniversity ✭✭

I have 15.6.6, and the issue still exists.

• ScottRFrostScottRFrost USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Windows Visual Studio 15.6.6
    Xamarin.Android SDK 8.2.0.16 (HEAD/a78295902)
    Xamarin.Android Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.
    Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK 11.9.1.24 (f62de47)
    Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.

Visual Studio for Mac 7.4.3 build 10
    Xamarin.iOS 11.9.1.24

Xcode 9.3 (9E145)

Issue still exists. :) Starting Xcode on the Mac then restarting Windows VS as @brader mentioned fixed it :) , but it's not obvious that you have to do that and if I hadn't found this forum thread I never would have known.

I like Xamarin as a shortcut for not having to mess with Objective C / Swift / Java, but my God is it fragile as hell. Every update I have to hope that it doesn't break.

• SmartManSmartMan INMember ✭✭✭

Update the Visual studio for mac.It is working for me.I am using xcode 9.3 only

• npinedanpineda Member ✭✭

@brader said:
    Updated solution:
    Visual Studio 15.6.5 has been released to support XCode 9.3. I updated my Xcode and Visual Studio and then tried to build... and got this same error. Turns out I needed to launch XCode and allow it to install additional components (updated version of the command line tools I would assume). After that, I reconnected to the Mac build server and everything worked!

You are correct! I just had to open xcode on my mac and it all worked like it was working before updating VS. Thanks.