SetValue: Can not convert System.ReadOnlySpan to type 'Xamarin.Forms.Color'

GerryHGerryH USMember ✭✭✭

Getting this weird error(s) after upgrading Visual Studio yesterday:

[0:] SetValue: Can not convert System.ReadOnlySpan`1[[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e]] to type 'Xamarin.Forms.Color'

Any idea what that is all about?

thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GerryHGerryH US ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Tried updating to Xamarin Forms 3. It failed until I manually removed references to the previous version of Forms from the Android csproj file. Again, this is Enterprise, going to try Prof next.

• GerryHGerryH US ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

VS Prof: rebuild (fails), then build (success), then run. App runs in Prof now. Programming is fun.

• GerryHGerryH US ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

You need to upgrade to the latest xamarin forms 3

Also, you can't trust Build/Clean Solution in VS (I think it is a no-op). I wrote a script like:

rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\Android\bin
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\Android\obj
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\SharedMobile\bin
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\SharedMobile\obj

Answers

• GerryHGerryH USMember ✭✭✭

Upgrade the 3 failed for me the first try, but I will try, try, try again.

[I have noticed that Visual Studio Enterprise is way smarter at upgrading packages, but only had the trial.]

thanks,
    will let you know how it goes (tomorrow)

edited May 2018

I can use my trial version of Visual Studio Enterprise to run the project okay. Well, after much manual cleaning/rebuilding/rebooting.

Project does not run in Visual Studio Professional.
    Guess if you want to do Xamarin development, you just got to pay more. A lot more.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you're good again. But get out of those emulators as fast as you can. Go down to your cell store or Sams's club etc. and buy a $50 Android tablet... Your phone carrier may just give it to you free if you activate a line of service on it - which you'll want to properly test your app's connectivity and functionality anyway.

As for everything else... Well, yeah. Welcome to coding and Visual Studio.

Accepted Answer

Tried updating to Xamarin Forms 3. It failed until I manually removed references to the previous version of Forms from the Android csproj file. Again, this is Enterprise, going to try Prof next.

Accepted Answer

VS Prof: rebuild (fails), then build (success), then run. App runs in Prof now. Programming is fun.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Glad you're good again. But get out of those emulators as fast as you can. Go down to your cell store or Sams's club etc. and buy a $50 Android tablet... Your phone carrier may just give it to you free if you activate a line of service on it - which you'll want to properly test your app's connectivity and functionality anyway.

As for everything else... Well, yeah. Welcome to coding and Visual Studio.

I have an Android phone I test with. I like the emulator for most testing, runs nice and fast, plus full sized keyboard.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@GerryH said:
    I have an Android phone I test with. I like the emulator for most testing, runs nice and fast, plus full sized keyboard.

I like to use Vyser to remote operate the physical device for the same reason. Its basically like a VNC connection to a remote computer. You get to use your mouse and keyboard to operate a real device, and see the real device on your PC screen, which is great for screenshots etc.
    https://www.vysor.io/

• abdullahtahan.7433abdullahtahan.7433 SAMember ✭✭

here i have same issue

Accepted Answer

You need to upgrade to the latest xamarin forms 3

Also, you can't trust Build/Clean Solution in VS (I think it is a no-op). I wrote a script like:

rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\Android\bin
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\Android\obj
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\SharedMobile\bin
    rd /s /q C:\your path goes here\SharedMobile\obj