Forum Visual Studio

Painfull development experience

P.S - I don't want this to become gripe sessions, but man it's hard to not.

I'm developing with Xamarin.Android since 2017, it's a little period of time, but I'm working with Android since 2014 (or later I don't really remember).

Using VS 2017, I spend more time trying to fix the IDE "magical" errors than developing my application. For example, I'm working on my solution since 8 o'clock morning. The time at this post writing is 10:30. I just spend 30 minutes writing code, the others are for solving solution problems, freezing and reference problems after tools and nuget packages errors.

First, when I reload my solution, about 20 references simply appear on my solution (remember, VS2017 with Xamarin is simple "magic"). They are generating many, again, MANY errors on my solution, and I didn't add this assemblies, ever in my solution.

Second, IDE freezing. Man, every resource change, the clean-rebuild-build process for the app working on my development device is like a stabbing in my shoulder. Open task manager, shutdown vs process, open the IDE again.

Third, and this people is the worst: Random ANR on the running app, the "magically" disappear on the painful clean-rebuild-build. And I didn't mention app flavors (that didn't exist) and many other platform specifics.

All this is about native development, sorry but I didn't use WPF and XAML since silverlight launch, and I'll not use it now on Xamarin, for me it's slow, heavy and unusable.

My solution have an iOS project too, and man... Better not talking 'bout it.

If it's possible, someone that having the same trouble as me and turn the things better could give some advice, it will be appreciated.

• victoriavictoria SEMember ✭✭✭

We only have one legacy application for Xamarin and it is a pain to develop for. It's always been, but back in 2013 it was still less of a pain than Xcode + IB + Objc. My point is, I know what you mean but it's nothing new - it' aways been like this, and you just have to live with it. It's not going to change. I sometimes wish I had an Xamarin employee by my side that could see every bug and forced restart and brokenness that goes into a day of development, because obviously they're not dogfooding their own tools enough.

My tip to you is it's better to just accept that it is what it is, and think twice about your tools before starting a new project. For some, Xamarin is still worth it, for others it's not. Hang in there and good luck!