Xamarin App for Windows, iOS, Android and Mac

Hi!
We have started using Xamarin.Forms for a Trial Project. Now a new bigger and more substentiall Project is coming up.

My plan would be to start the new (business critical) app with iOS und Android and later on generate also an UWP and MacOS Version.

To push through, it would be easier to have a reference app, which at least runs under iOS, Android and UWP. Is there a known App, which could be used therefore? The MSN News App is now in beta with Xamarin.Forms, but as I understood, the UWP Version is still "normal" and only Shares Code with iOS and Android Xamarin.forms. Is this correct? Are there other reference Projects?

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's a lot like saying "Is there a generic windows app we can mimic for all of our new Windows apps?"
    You know that just can't work because a calculator is different than a game, is different than a recipe book.

You can make a new solution right out of Visual Studio that runs on all the platforms. But how you architect your solution is very much dependent on what it actually needs to do.

My plan would be to start the new (business critical) app with

I'll be bluntly honest - If the app is business critical yet you're having to ask "Is there a generic app we can use as a guide?" then you probably aren't ready to be making the business critical app. What happened to that trial app you say you were working on? That proof-of-concept/training app should be your guide. If you haven't gotten enough experience under your belt with that app then its not yet time for your team to be making real world applications. At the very least hire a Xamarin certified developer to make the skeleton of your app and stub it all out. Then your team can put all the meat on the bones.

• WolfgangHenicklWolfgangHenickl USMember ✭✭

To say it bluntly, no.

The Question is: Did someone or better a Company release a working/used App for all 4 Plattforms in Xamarin.forms?

@WolfgangHenickl said:
    The Question is: Did someone or better a Company release a working/used App for all 4 Plattforms in Xamarin.forms?

Sure. Countless companies have. British Airways... John Deere... There was a big plantation food-chain system in South America... these were all major case-studies presented at the Evolve 2016 conference. Obviously many others. These were just ones that agreed to be featured and studied and access granted over the course of development.

Now it starts to get interesting: Do you have a link for further Information for these Projects?

Their code is not open-source. You're not going to get a copy of the British Airways software so you can use it as a guide for making yours.

These are all documented on the Xamarin site and easy enough to find by googling "Xamarin case study" but sure... Let me do that research for you.
    https://blog.xamarin.com/tag/case-studies/
    https://www.xamarin.com/customers

edited April 2018

Thanks for the quick replies and but I did know these pages.

Accepted Answer

So the answer is given.