Xamarin forms Compile App for ChromeBook ChromeOS

Hello Team,

Regarding my issue. I am using Google Chrome OS version 56.0.2924.110 Platform 9000.910 Firmware Google_Veyron_minnie.6588.237.0 The Google Chrome Book is touch screen. Made by Asus.

Any application I compile in Xamarin Forms PCL, does not run on my Google ChromeBook (Google-Chrome-OS).

I would like to know If anyone had any success in writing and compiling applications that successfully run on Google Chrome OS, using Xamarin Forms. If so, what type of settings did you use while building the application. I cant seem to find anything regarding this in google search. I greatly appreciate any feedback input thoughts on how to compile for Chrome OS.

P.S I have compiled pure native Java Application using Android Studio, and this runs fine on Google Chrome OS. But using Xamarin Forms PCL does not run on Google Chrome OS.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• AhmadZeitounAhmadZeitoun US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I figured this out finally , so you will need to unlock installing devices from unknown sources, and you will also need to download an APK editor make a small change and save the APK editor will allow the device to install the APK each Chromebook depending on the after market manufacture will have a different method for unlock the device os.

see this for more details
    https://www.chromium.org/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/generic

Bottom line Yes Xamarin Forms Applications will work fine on Google Chrome Books.
    Anything publish to the google play store will run =]

Happy coding.

Answers

• AhmadZeitounAhmadZeitoun USMember ✭✭

Please if anyone has any insight that may assist me in determining if this can be done, I would really appreciate this.

Thank you !

Accepted Answer

I figured this out finally , so you will need to unlock installing devices from unknown sources, and you will also need to download an APK editor make a small change and save the APK editor will allow the device to install the APK each Chromebook depending on the after market manufacture will have a different method for unlock the device os.

see this for more details
    https://www.chromium.org/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/generic

Bottom line Yes Xamarin Forms Applications will work fine on Google Chrome Books.
    Anything publish to the google play store will run =]

Happy coding.

• DougPrinsDougPrins USMember

APK editor make a small change

Can you explain what change is required?
    I can build an APK, sideload it to a Samsung Tablet, and it installs/runs fine.
    Doing the same thing on a Samsung Chromebook, it installs but fails immediately when run.

The app is the simple Hello Button default Android app in Visual Studio 2017.

• DougPrinsDougPrins USMember

Figured it out. Had to use the Release build with the "Generate one package (.apk) per selected ABI" setting in the properties\Andriod Options tab. Then installed the App2.App2-armeabi-v7a-Signed.apk copy from the Release directory.
    Another odd thing was I couldn't find a direct setting for building the apk and it would only build them when I deployed the project to a physical android tablet. Clearly I'm missing something but finally did get a valid apk.

Awesome bro , I am happy you got it rolling !

• ShimmyWeitzhandlerShimmyWeitzhandler USMember ✭✭✭

I hope they're planning to implement official support for ChromeOS devices.