Support status of Windows Phone 8.1?

Hello,

I am pretty new to Xamarin so please excuse me if any questions seem dumb.

I have a UWP (C#/XAML) app and I want to port it to Xamarin mainly to publish it Android and iOS as well.

I have added a Xamarin.Forms project containing UWP, Android, iOS and a shared Xamarin project to my existing VS 2017 UWP solution. I am now in the process of recreating my existing code in the shared Xamarin.Forms project.

I have only recently learned that I can also target other platforms with Xamarin.Forms, namely Tizen and macOS and also that there is or was support for WP8 with or without Silverlight.

I am confused as to the current support status of Windows Phone 8.1 of Xamarin.Forms. Has support for WP 8.1 ended or only for Silverlight? If so, what is the last version to support any kind of Windows Phone 8 development?

Can you have a Visual Studio solution with current Xamarin apps (shared, UWP, iOS, Android) and legacy (WP 8.1) projects to open in VS 2015 (for WP 8.1 compiling and debugging) and VS 2017 (for development and everything else)?

Thank you very much!
Tagged:

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

WinPhone support died out long ago. Along with WinPhone. :smile:

• kingmatherskingmathers Member ✭✭
    I read that Xamarin.Forms 2.5 still had Windows Phone support. Is that not correct?

I could be wrong but... Any new project I've made in a long time doesn't have a winPhone project in it.
    There might be support still there for legacy projects - and that's a big might - but I don't think the new project templates include it.

At best it is deprecated to the point of near removal if not already removed.

Nobody looks at WinPhone as a direction worth investing time in. And thus the tool makers like Xamarin have no market to justify their making of tools for a dead platform.

edited March 2018
    I understand that and know that the next release will remove Windows Phone support. I am not asking for ongoing development.

I am using VS 2017 and as such there obviously is no Windows Phone project.

I am just wondering that if I have a running Xamarin.Forms 2.5 app on Android, iOS and UWP, could I also (with little to no effort) compile that version for Windows Phone 8.1?

@kingmathers said:
    I am just wondering that if I have a running Xamarin.Forms 2.5 app on Android, iOS and UWP, could I also (with little to no effort) compile that version for Windows Phone 8.1?

Sorry for how this sounds... Isn't that a simple enough test to run yourself? Back up the legacy project. Load the legacy solution. Does the WinPhone project of the solution even load? Does it build? What am I missing here?

Yes I will do that but I have to install VS 2015 and the Windows Phone tools first. If it does not work, I would have liked to save the time but from what I have read it ought to be possible. Thank you for your response nevertheless.