Will Xamarin be affected by Apple’s upcoming ban on templated apps??

• NamyslawSzymaniukNamyslawSzymaniuk USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited December 2017

I hate using the term fake news but I think adding Xamarin etc is fake.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/08/apples-widened-ban-on-templated-apps-is-wiping-small-businesses-from-the-app-store/

Your Xamarin iOS app is a native iOS app, banning those, ReactiveUI etc makes no sense.

If your churning out templates apps quickly in a design studio I guess this is a problem but I can't see how it would affect people creating full native apps (which Forms apps are....sorry just noticed this as the general forum).

@DavidOrtinau @JamesMontemagno @MigueldeIcaza
    Any official confirmation that this is fake news?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I also wonder if "commercialized template" includes things like all those local TV station branded weather apps. You know that 10,000 TV stations are not all commissioning their own app - All the CBS stations are probably based on the same app/template etc.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's entirely fake. I think that Apple might be after "cloned" apps regardless of the tooling used. So it might affect Xamarin as well, but not because of Xamarin, but because of having 100 apps that looks the same except for the color.
    Just guessing of course.

• NashZhouNashZhou USMember ✭✭✭

@MihaMarkic The original person who posted that image has acknowledged the email is fake.

If you want, you can take a look at his blog post here

https://jzeferino.wordpress.com/2017/12/19/apple-spoofed-email-with-review-policy/

When reading Apple's 4.2.6 guideline it looks like it's addressing the issue of template app builders. Think of it like a create you own website applications (where you drag and drop components) but instead its to create an iPhone app. You'll find plenty of petitions online regarding 4.2.6 but it doesn't mean all Xamarin apps will be rejected.

Also, it's funny to note the fake email mentions Xamarin but not React Native. Flutter isn't even stable and it would be pretty outrageous for Google's cross-platform solution to fail while in alpha. I don't know why Trillian is on the list, but I'm guessing the person who wrote the email meant Titanium.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

@NashZhou Yeah, e-mail is fake, but the gist is there. It might affect Xamarin apps .... read my text above yours.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

It affects all apps that are built from templates, regardless of development platform. This is not Xamarin specific.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone GBUniversity ✭✭✭

If it's just the templates then it's a good thing.
    There are millions or useless and cloned apps online that make no sense.

If they ban them it will be good for the quality and for the good developers

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

@JohnHair said:
    It affects all apps that are built from templates, regardless of development platform. This is not Xamarin specific.

This.

They removed an entire wave of apps that were 'too basic' or simply 'clones'.
    And now they are rejecting apps and on the basis of Guideline 4.2.* ( most commonly: 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.2.6).

It's not looking good, it may be wise to start learning Android Studio and becoming exclusively an Android developer.

@ChrisColeTech It looks fine to me, I see no issues with those guidelines and I am happy that Apple is removing useless apps and clones from the AppStore. Why do you see an issue with that? My apps are (I like to think) innovative and very useful, and they certainly aren't clones.

edited March 2018

@JohnHair said:
    @ChrisColeTech It looks fine to me, I see no issues with those guidelines and I am happy that Apple is removing useless apps and clones from the AppStore. Why do you see an issue with that? My apps are (I like to think) innovative and very useful, and they certainly aren't clones.

The problem is -
    1.) They need to define "useful". It is a subjective term and open to interpretation.

2.) The "usefulness" of your app would be at the discretion of the individual app reviewer. You can build an app that has all of your business clients requirements - but it can be rejected because the app reviewer does not see the "usefulness" of the application.

3.) They can be rejected because they lack significant native iOS functionality - many Xamarin forms apps do not have platform specific features, and they do not require platform specific features. To reject an app simply because it does not "showcase the iOS platform" is bogus.

So now when you develop, you have to consider two sets of requirements - App Store & Business Client.

You'll have to ask:

• Does this app include enough native iOS functionality for the App Store?
    • Does the app seem to be useful to the App Store?
    • Does the app provide lasting entertainment value to the App Store?
    • Does the app look like any other apps in the App Store?

AND ALSO:

• Does this meet my business client's needs?

And even then - it can be rejected at the discretion of the reviewer.

At the end of the day - I build apps to solve business problems - not to make the App Store Reviewer happy.

Hi hear you @ChrisColeTech, but as I said I am not concerned.

edited March 2018

@JohnHair said:
    Hi hear you @ChrisColeTech, but as I said I am not concerned.

For sure,

It may not concern you today - but you are only "one fish, in a big pond."

(Or perhaps, you have an entertainment/gaming app, or a native app built with Xamarin.iOS, or are using native iOS features - in that case, yes it does not concern you)

It very well could impact your next application if it is built with Xamarin.Forms.

My point is - there are many developers who should be concerned, as it will affect many of us, here in our community...We should not let the App Store dictate the types of apps we can create.

Sure - they have every right to say what belongs in their store - but we have the right to take our business to another app store if we do not want to deal with their shenanigans..

Which is why I stated in my original post that this is the perfect time to "learn Android Studio, and exclusively develop for Android."

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate a difference in opinion.

Chris