Can't create Xamarin.Forms .NET Standard Project

finsterfinster Member ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm doing something really stupid, but I've updated to VS for Mac 7.5 build 933, and when I try to create a new Xamarin.Forms "Blank Forms App", I only get options for "Portable Class Library" or "Shared Library" - I thought that I should be able to create a .NET Standard project.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Create a portable class library. In the portable class library options you can easily convert to a .net standard 1.0 to 1.5.

I like using prism for Xamarin Forms development. The prism template pack creates a Xamarin forms project which uses .net standard 2.0

• finsterfinster Member ✭✭

Thanks, I can see that option, although I think I need .net standard 2.0 for this particular project (I want to try Monkey Cache).

Does anybody know any timescales for being able to create a netstandard 2.0 Forms project from within VS for Mac?

Thanks.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Unfortunately the Xamarin.Forms project templates were not updated in Visual Studio for Mac 7.5 preview 1 to use .NET Standard 2.0 projects. The current plan is to have them available in the second preview - but there is no set date for the second preview currently.

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always add a standard library to the xamarin forms app and move the code from the pcl to the standard library. Like in this video

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/XamarinShow/Snack-Pack-15-Upgrading-to-XamarinForms-to-NET-Standard

• finsterfinster Member ✭✭

Hi both,

Many thanks for your help. I've used Mutatio on my PCL project and converted it successfully to .NET Standard 2.0 with no issues.

Thanks again!