Can I build a clinical history app using Xamarin?

FernandoQFernandoQ Member

Hello all! Im new to Xamarin (not new using C# in Unity), what I want to achieve is a Clinical History App for personal use. It should have a list of the patients and a file for each one that can be modified in realtime. Does Xamarin is the best option to build something like that?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Answers

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very general question.

Short answer - yes I'm sure you can.

We need more details of what you want to do before we can point you in the right direction.
  • JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited March 2018

@FernandoQ - Yes you can Xamarin for this. However, if this is for use in any country with half-way decent data protection legislation, you will need to investigate how you will comply with that legislation. "for personal use" does not avoid having to comply with the legislation, and in the EU the penalties for failing to comply with the new GDPR rules are significant. Even if not in a country with data protection legislation, patients will not be happy if their medical records are not kept securely. If you are going to be using Xamarin, you will want to investigate how to store data in encrypted form, how to transfer it securely if synchronising data with a remote database, how to authenticate the user and check that the user is authorised to see the data, how to ensure that the data becomes inaccessible after a period of inactivity, etc. There are free plugins available for some aspects of this, but others you are likely to have to pay for. This is the sort of application that needs careful requirements analysis before starting to cut any code, otherwise a mobile device left in the back of a taxi could result in significant fines.

As for whether Xamarin is the "best" option, it depends on the requirements, timescales, your prior coding experience, etc.

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnHardman All very good points. There's the technical 'can it be done?' question and the regulatory implications which make the implementation complex.

As soon as you're storing any personal information (not even medical) the data protection regulations apply. Then medical data rules can/will apply on top.