Forum Libraries, Components, and Plugins

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

slow advertisement packets with aritchie/bluetoothle Scan()

I have implemented this in Xamarin for iOS and Android in order to receive advertisement packets

CrossBleAdapter.Current.Scan().Subscribe(scanResult => {});

But scanResults are slow. About 2-20 seconds between.

But when I use another app like "nRF Connect" advertisement packets are received every second.

What Have I forgotten?

Best Answer

• AllanRitchieAllanRitchie CAInsider, University ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Scan results will come in faster than your UI can process which makes it seem slow if you are constantly flipping into the UI. If you take a look at the android code, you'll notice I don't do anything to cause impediments to the result, so it is either a weird hardware thing or something happening in external code.

Answers

• MichelsenMichelsen Member ✭✭

I tried this, but it only helped slightly:

ScanConfig sc = new ScanConfig();
    sc.ScanType = BleScanType.LowLatency;

CrossBleAdapter.Current.Scan(sc).Subscribe(scanResult => {});

There isn’t anything I do that would make scan slow. Do you have a small end to end sample? Is the sample app slow (keep in mind I buffered do not to destroy ui thread)?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Here is a small end to end sample. Regarding the UI thread, I have other things like a second counter and a memory monitor that update the user interface every second without problem. Device Connect and character write also seem to perform ok. It is only the Scan().

private IDisposable disposable_ScanResult = null;
    public void BT_StartScanner()
    {
    if (disposable_ScanResult == null)
    {
    ScanConfig sc = new ScanConfig();
    sc.ScanType = BleScanType.LowLatency;

disposable_ScanResult
            = CrossBleAdapter.Current.Scan(sc).Subscribe(OnScanResult);
    }

}

void OnScanResult(IScanResult scanResult)
    {
    // This part is called every 2 - 20 seconds. Not every second as expected.
    }

I haven't tried the sample app. What do you mean by "keep in mind I buffered do not to destroy ui thread"?

Accepted Answer

Scan results will come in faster than your UI can process which makes it seem slow if you are constantly flipping into the UI. If you take a look at the android code, you'll notice I don't do anything to cause impediments to the result, so it is either a weird hardware thing or something happening in external code.

I have now been investigating.
    @AllanRitchie , you are probably right about what you say: "...weird hardware thing or something happening in external code"
    I have compared my app with "nRF Connect" app on a series of Android devices and a single iPhone.
    Only a single Android device (Huawei P10) receives the advertisement packets every 1 sec in both my app and "nRF Connect" app.
    On 4 other Android devices (both Huawei and Samsung) and an iPhone SE, advertisement packets are lost in both my app and "nRF Connect" app.