Why does my iOS simulator keep opening in my mac?

I have a a mac and a pc and much prefer pc. I have the lastest versions of VS2017 community on both devices and ideall would like to do most dev work on my PC as is it better. However whenever I launch the remote iOS simulator, it keeps opening in my Mac. I have followed the instructions listed on the xamarin site yet it keeps happening, irregardless of me ticking or unticking the remote simulator for windows box.

Also is it possible to open the simulator on PC without having to load an app first?

Answers

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭
    What instructions are you following, as with the exception of VS Enterprise (I believe, never seen or used it) there is no simulator for windows, you have to use the Apple one on the Mac
  • @AndyFlisher said:
    What instructions are you following, as with the exception of VS Enterprise (I believe, never seen or used it) there is no simulator for windows, you have to use the Apple one on the Mac

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply.
    According to Xamarin (blog.xamarin.com/whats-new-visual-studio-2017-version-15-5/), all versions of VS2017 (including Community) have the ability to use an iOS simulator in Windows. My problem is that despite having the latest versions of VS2017 on both my PC & Mac & the latest versions of High Sierra and Win 10 Pro Fall Creators, and following the method described in this link (developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/ios-simulator/), the XCode simulator in my Mac keeps opening instead of the iOS simulator in Windows 10

• @AndyFlisher said:

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply.
    According to Xamarin (blog.xamarin.com/whats-new-visual-studio-2017-version-15-5/), all versions of VS2017 (including Community) have the ability to use an iOS simulator in Windows. My problem is that despite having the latest versions of VS2017 on both my PC & Mac & the latest versions of High Sierra and Win 10 Pro Fall Creators, and following the method described in this link (developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/ios-simulator/), the XCode simulator in my Mac keeps opening instead of the iOS simulator in Windows 10

• @PierceBoggan @DavidOrtinau
    any ideas what could be the root of my problems (help will be appreciated)

@BoondockRebel said:
    I have a a mac and a pc and much prefer pc. I have the lastest versions of VS2017 community on both devices and ideall would like to do most dev work on my PC as is it better. However whenever I launch the remote iOS simulator, it keeps opening in my Mac. I have followed the instructions listed on the xamarin site yet it keeps happening, irregardless of me ticking or unticking the remote simulator for windows box.

Also is it possible to open the simulator on PC without having to load an app first?

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

Maybe it's not expecting to operate when there's a Mac pairing in place too, have you tried unpairing the Mac (and maybe region through the Windows steps), to see what happens then?

• @AndyFlisher said:
    Maybe it's not expecting to operate when there's a Mac pairing in place too, have you tried unpairing the Mac (and maybe region through the Windows steps), to see what happens then?

I have tried unpairing the mac and it doesnt load the simulator. Also tried pairing both through a VPN and same thing happens. I havent tried pairing both via an ethernet connection yet (as I need to get an ethernet dongle for my laptop) but I am guessing it would have same effect as wifi as it is the same IP address.