Can Xamarin and Unity be used together?

JonathanWinnaarJonathanWinnaar ZAUniversity ✭✭

I am a newby in Xamarin & know NOTHING of Unity.
Can one use Unity with Xamarin in some way?
For example, since C# is one of Unity's scripting language, can one design 3D objects in Unity can control them via a Xamarin App?

jodi319

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• JonathanWinnaarJonathanWinnaar ZAUniversity ✭✭

I just uncovered, one can use Visual Studio as a code editor for Unity scripting.
    Does'nt that mean, Xamarin within Visual Studio can be used as scripting ?

I am trying to see if one can design 3D interactive model with Unity, then use Xamarin (C#) scripting to incorporate (with some scripting) 3D model into a Xamarin cross-platform App to be deployed.

• SamFarrSamFarr USMember

Hey Jonathan, did this end up working for you? I want to use the new iOS10 speech recognition in my unity game, and have not found an easy way to accomplish it. Speech recognition on iOS seems to have been a black hole until iOS 10. So, if I could utilize xamarin to use the native speech recognizer within unity, that would be awesome.

• JonathanWinnaarJonathanWinnaar ZAUniversity ✭✭

I was unable to find an answer to my question.

• Matt_PerleyMatt_Perley CAMember ✭✭

@SamFarr said:
    I want to use the new iOS10 speech recognition in my unity game, and have not found an easy way to accomplish it.

is it essential to have as part of the main game? i created a companion app for an mmo i am working on in my spare time that allows me to issue voice commands to troops and make inventory changes/apply items from inventory during game play without having to open it or turn on my device (unless there is security in place).

again its a seperate app, so i understand if this is not what you are going for. im using a .netcore 2.0 api as well.

@JonathanWinnaar said:
    I am trying to see if one can design 3D interactive model with Unity, then use Xamarin (C#) scripting to incorporate (with some scripting) 3D model into a Xamarin cross-platform App to be deployed.

have you tried urho3d? i think skia was the other one (ive only worked with urho).
    ive made several models with blender and made an app menu based off that and some simple rotate object code.
    urho is pretty straight forward as well!

• Assuming you are not talking about browser games, Unity creates its own executable and/or entry point. You would probably have to take the Unity3D-created game and embed that as a resource in the original app, say a Windows Phone app. Then launch the game as a child process.