Visual Studio 2015 will not recognize Xamarin.iOS after Xamarin update

Visual Studio 2015 (Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3) after Xamarin update (15.5.5) will not recognize iOS:
in the Solution Explorer, If I right click on the iOS project and select "Install Missing features" is shows "C#/.NET (Xamarin v4.2.1) as already installed. (VS Help/About says Xamarin 4.8.0.760 is installed) and will not Install/Update.
If I look in Programs and Features and Modify the Xamarin Support for Visual Studio 2015 install. It tells me Xamarin.iOS SDK, Xamarin.Mac SDK and Xamarin.Anfroid SDK are not installed.

How can we resolve the v4.2.1 vrs v4.8.0.760 issue as it seems to be the problem..?..

We accepted the update to be able to develop for iOS phones v11. It has taken us DOWN. 2 days not and unable to recover.

We Need Help please!

Best Answer

• DavidHilmerDavidHilmer US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Well, after 4 Days attempting to fix the Xamarin 4.8.0.760 update for Visual Studio 2015 we have failed. I can not believe the CRAP that is put out in an update to take us down. Now we have upper management hands around our necks, it is not fun!!!

To resolve the problem, we have upgraded to VS2017. Maybe that was the intent by Microsoft, I don't know. But it did fix the issue. (VS2017 is using the Xamarin 4.8.0.760 version... hmmm)

Ya know, we should be able to bill Microsoft for the lost time attempting to fix their issue. 2 developers at 32 hours... It may not appease upper management but would make me feel better.

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidHilmer Try repairing the VS install. Or if the installer shows the Xamarin components are installed, uninstall them, reboot the pc and then reinstall Xamarin.

• DavidHilmerDavidHilmer USMember ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback. Yes tried repairing to no avail. Had removed "Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Xamarin" and reinstalled = no help
    even took Xamarin to the next "Beta" level (4.9.0.702) ends with exact same issue.
    Now I am going to do as you suggest, us VS install and remove Xamarin and reinstall.
    I will be back...

The VS2015 Installer will not allow me to uncheck/remove "C#/.NET (Xamarin v4.2.1)" feature.

Back to Google...

@DavidHilmer do you have 2 versions of VS installed sisd-by-side? Then I suggest running Repair on both.

Hmm, yes I have VS2010 and VS2015 installed. I will give it a shot.
    I have removed and installed "Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Xamarin" in all of these versions in this order:
    4.6 (what we had for a year +), 4.8 (the update that screwed it all up), 4.9 (Beta-no difference), 4.6 (did not recover) and back to 4.8. I now question if it is Xamarin unless it broke a link that VS does not expect to be changed. It may be VS. The other developer has totally reloaded his VS2015 and is now at the virgin state. His iOS is available but can not load the project we are working as it is newer than XCode8 (we took our Apples to XCode9.2 for iPhone11. We are going to ghost his PC before attempting anything further on his. Meanwhile I am trying to fix my pc.
    We are thinking that we may have to jump to VS2017..? to get past this. but my confidence in that is very very low.

Here is the current error:
    LegacySitePackage failed for package [XamarinShellPackage]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module) at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes() at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes() at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog.<>c.<.ctor>b__0_0(Assembly a) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 34 at System.Linq.Enumerable.<SelectManyIterator>d__172.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator2.MoveNext() at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.TypeCatalog.InitializeTypeCatalog(IEnumerable1 types)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.TypeCatalog..ctor(IEnumerable1 types) at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog..ctor(IEnumerable1 types) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 52&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog..ctor(Assembly[] assemblies) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 34&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.DevEnvFactory.InitializeContainer(IServiceProvider services) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 130&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.DevEnvFactory.&lt;Get&gt;b__3_0(IServiceProvider s) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 43&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory) at Clide.DevEnvFactory.Get(IServiceProvider services) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 42 at Clide.DevEnv.Get(IServiceProvider serviceProvider) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnv.cs:line 46 at Clide.Host.Initialize(IServiceProvider hostingPackage, Boolean registerCommands, Boolean registerCommandFilters, Boolean registerCommandInterceptors, Boolean registerOptionPages) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\Host.cs:line 91 at Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage.Initialize() in C:\d\lanes\5409\64d46941\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio\FlavorProject\TastyPackage.cs:line 162 at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.XamarinShellPackage.Initialize() in C:\d\lanes\5409\64d46941\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Shell\XamarinShellPackage.cs:line 72 at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)

@DavidHilmer Hmmm...your multitude of issues scares me. I too faced similar situations earlier and when try to look back, really I don't remember how I came out of those. Wish you Good Luck.

By moving to VS2017 you will not be worse than VS2015, only better, no doubt...

Accepted Answer

Well, after 4 Days attempting to fix the Xamarin 4.8.0.760 update for Visual Studio 2015 we have failed. I can not believe the CRAP that is put out in an update to take us down. Now we have upper management hands around our necks, it is not fun!!!

To resolve the problem, we have upgraded to VS2017. Maybe that was the intent by Microsoft, I don't know. But it did fix the issue. (VS2017 is using the Xamarin 4.8.0.760 version... hmmm)

Ya know, we should be able to bill Microsoft for the lost time attempting to fix their issue. 2 developers at 32 hours... It may not appease upper management but would make me feel better.

@DavidHilmer Don't you have a support agreement with Microsoft? If it is a serious issue then Microsoft support should be contacted. When I had serious issues I did get viable help from MS Support. For Enterprises a incident based paid support is not a bad option.