Getting a test build to users

NicWiseNicWise modNZMember, Insider, Beta mod
edited October 2012 in Xamarin.Android

OK, first timer on Android. So far, going well (going so well I'm waiting for the brick wall to hit.... and I'm almost finished). Last time I tried MfA (MonoDroid as it was then, pre-release) the emulator was so painful, I gave up. This time, I have a Nexus 7. WOW. What a difference. (the emulator is still a bit crap, but it's usable now)

So, how do I get my app to users to try out? I'd use testflightapp.com for iOS, but is there something like that for Android? Or do I just email the APK and they do something with it?

On a similar note, is there a nice way to package up the emulator (or get them to install the SDK?) and give that to someone to try the app out with? the main stakeholder is an iOS user, so he doesn't have an Android phone :)

Thanks!

• JoeJoe AUMember

For private testing, I've just been sending out the debug-signed APK. All the user has to do is ensure that in settings, they can install applications from non-market sources.

Should just be able to send it via email, or put it in Dropbox and have the user open it in something like ES File Explorer.

• NicWiseNicWise mod NZMember, Insider, Beta mod
    edited October 2012

Excellent, thanks! I'll give it a go.

Now I have to work out what "debug signed" is. I'm assuming I dont need a google store account for that?

• JoeJoe AUMember

If you have a license for MonoDroid and can therefore deploy to a device, the signing happens automatically with a generated key. When you do such a deployment, have a look in the bin\release folder and you'll see an APK with a name ending in 'signed'.

This is the one that can be sent around to others. This isn't suitable for the marketplace however. For that you have to do this.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth Xamurai CAXamarin Team Xamurai

You can also put the APK on a web-server and e-mail the URL to users. When they click on the link from their device they will be able to install the app.

I haven't tried it yet, but Zubhium seems like an Android version of TestFlight.

• OldRedthOldRedth ✭✭✭ USMember, Insider ✭✭✭

Zubhium is ok. I find it a bit overly complex for what it needs to do, especially considering you can essentially just email a dropbox link to the latest build to your users. There's also HockeyApp which does both iOS and Android, though I've not used them yet (too happy with the price of testflight and dropbox -> free) :)

Thanks everyone. Thats way easier than I was expecting. Now to just get my release build building, and I can put it up!

• MichaelMuegelMichaelMuegel ✭✭ US ✭✭

Regarding Zubhium, the pricing is steep for developers without a real business yet. They have pricing tiers tied to APK size, and mine will be over the low-tier limits. I e-mailed the company about this. Their response:

For now unfortunately there is no straight forward solution than opting micro plan fot it but we will consider this problem soon

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth Xamurai CAXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes. When Zubhium first came out it was free IIRC. Unfortunate that they don't have plan to address the niche of hobbyest / startup / student.

It appears the release-build-on-a-http-server thing works. yay!

Defn one thing that Android has over iOS :) Thanks everyone.