VS2017 Xamarin Forms solution will not load iOS project

jamoclejamocle USMember ✭✭

I have a mature project in VS 2015. Yesterday I installed VS2017 and attempted to load the solution. The PCL loaded properly, The Droid loaded properly but the iOS project says unavailable. If I try to reload it, I get an error stating the the location is access denied. The VS2015 IDE loads the project perfectly. I tried launching VS2017 in admin mode but to no avail. Also under Tools>Options>Xamarin>iOS the button to connect to the Mac agent does nothing. Help!!

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@jamocle Whether you have connected to mac or not, it should load the project. Is Xamarin iOS & Mac component installed? Which version is installed as seen from VS -> Help -> About VS (go all down to bottom) shows?

Does the Android part build and deploy to device?

• jamoclejamocle USMember ✭✭

@ShantimohanElchuri The Xamarin iOS that is showing in about VS is 11.6.1.4. This issue seems to be specific to the iOS project. All other projects load. The iOS project is unavailable.

New information, If I open the solution in VS2015 and check out the iOS project, then close VS2015. When I open the solution in VS2017 the project is properly loaded. What can this possibly be?

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@jamocle said:
    New information, If I open the solution in VS2015 and check out the iOS project, then close VS2015. When I open the solution in VS2017 the project is properly loaded. What can this possibly be?

This happens on Windows sometimes. Sometimes locks on the files opened in other programs wouldn't be released immediately even after those programs are closed. There are instances where I had to restart Windows to get those 'phantom' locks released. Sometimes the locks are released with some delay. It also happens when the other programs were terminated abruptly due to some fault.

I take it as 'normal' to Windows...as I didn't find any other alternative.

I think you have this backwards. I can only get the project to load when the project is checked out from VS2015. It cant be a lock issue because a brand new reboot won't let me open the project unless I check out the project in VS2015 first.
    Rebooting the computer, logging out and back in, nothing else is fixing the issue.