How do I use Xamarin?

Hello,
Ok this question might seems a bit unclear, let me explain. I have a program, a .sln made with VS with all the files. My program is working on Windows. I want it to work on Linux. How do I do?
I tried charging the solution on Xamarin and build but it didn't work.
Just know I have absolutely NO IDEA of how is Linux working and what I have to do.
Thank you for reading me :)

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Your program? Your IDE? I don't understand

• Mr_KoroshiyaMr_Koroshiya Member ✭✭

I meant that I have a program in .exe and I also have the solution in .sln used to make the .exe

Ok, so you would like to port your .net program from windows to linux?

Exactly

I think you should take a look to "Mono"
    monodevelop.com/download/

I did, I already have downloaded everything (Mono, Xamarin, #gtk) but I don't get a thing of the documentation and I just don't know what to do

As I said, I did try to read the documentation but I can't find what I want to do because I don't have enough general knowledge around this. Can you explain what I have to do?

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

This really is rather a general question! Can you give an indication of what the program does? Then we can maybe give an idea of what areas may be portable using Xamarin.

This is a textual game working with 3 .cs files. It uses an external input simulator and something to pack the game at the end of the process (pack the input simulator in .dll with the .exe). Those 2 are added to visual studio to be supported when compiled and they seem to be compatible with Xamarin since it finds updates for them. The .sln made in the first place with Visual Studio is directly charged in Xamarin and all the files are visible in the software.

Up?

Still not enough proper information on the existing application I'm afraid.

I don't get what you want to know, you can check the game here: https://gamejolt.com/games/dontopenme/255032 or tell me what information you need.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest going through a hello world example for a Xamarin app so you’ll see how the structure of an app should be. Then you’ll be able to think through the process requires to bring the game to this platform.
    I just don't know what to do, obviously the "hello world" works when compile into a .exe but how do I make it usable on linux?
  • JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, I missed the part about Linux. I use Xamarin for mobile app development, not Linux. Sorry, I won't be able to help you with that.

If the problem is with the Xamarin Linux implementation, the like John Hair, I'm afraid I can't help! As I think you've found, there doesn't seem to be much online which helps with this!
  • knottydevknottydev USMember ✭✭

Less effort should be spent responding to posts like this. It's frustrating that a post like this garners so many responses while others with more meaningful posts to the community get nada.

> @knottydev said:
    > Less effort should be spent responding to posts like this. It's frustrating that a post like this garners so many responses while others with more meaningful posts to the community get nada.

Less effort should be spent posting a response without actually trying to answer the question.
    Can someone else bring help? Also, thank you JohnHair :)
    Up?

Up please?

I think there isn't the knowledge on this forum I'm afraid!

I think I'm going to search for help on an other forum. Thanks for your help everyone tho!