Push Notifications - can't figure out how to get Developer Account there

SteveShaw.5557SteveShaw.5557 USMember ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Visual Studio

Using latest Visual Studio Preview for Mac + Xamarin, am able to download and debug app on actual iPhone, UNTIL try to use Push Notifications.

Entitlements.plist, I check "Enable Push Notifications". Result:
"To enable Push Notifications, select a Development Team to use for provisioning:"
but the dropdown is empty.

Yet Xamarin knows about my account (if it didn't, I wouldn't be able to debug on an actual device).
Specifically, Options / iOS Bundle Signing / Signing Identity and Provisioning profile show the expected values - besides the "Automatic" choices, I can see my personal identity under "Signing Identity", and our "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com...".

Question #1: when it says "select a Development Team to use for provisioning", is that something different than the values under iOS Bundle Signing?

Anyway, there is an option "Add an account". This takes me to Publishing / Apple Developer Accounts.

This has a list of Apple IDs; the list is empty.

Question #2: Why doesn't this show the same account id as "Signing Identity"?

So, I figure I have to add the ID manually. I click the "+".
Result: "You will be redirected to fastlane for authentication." .. "For more information, see our documentation".

I click on documentation link, follow instructions to make sure fastlane is installed, and on the path.

I click "OK".
Now I am staring at a terminal window.
It shows the expected path to fastlane, as part of a command line that also says "fastlane-credentials add".

Then it says "Username:"

Huh? Documentation link doesn't tell me anything about this terminal window, or what I am supposed to do.
(Or if it does, its buried somewhere that I haven't found yet.)

So I go ahead and try my Apple ID and password.
Says "...(my apple id)..." added to keychain.

That sounds promising (though I have no way of knowing if that was the Username and password I should have entered).

Unfortunately, it doesn't change anything in Xamarin plug-in for my app. (Rebooted Visual Studio, to be sure)

Question #3: What step(s) am I missing?

UPDATE: I can manually add to Entitlements "aps-environment: development", in order to download & debug app on phone, but I believe, based on earlier tests, that this still won't make a TestFlight that has working Push N.s. If try to use "aps-environment: production", the app fails to deploy to phone, deployment log says missing entitlement. iOS device log says "Failed to verify code signature .. The executable was signed with invalid entitlements"
So I believe that missing "Development Team for provisioning" still needs to be solved. Unless an old post at apple dev about changing that string to "production" is obsolete advice...

Answers

• SteveShaw.5557SteveShaw.5557 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Clarification: Probably can't use "aps-environment: production" with debug build. So ignore that part.

The "real" problem I have is that whenever I submit to TestFlight, I get an automated e-mail "We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for ... Missing Push Notification Entitlement ..."

In trying to figure out why (I've been through all the steps to verify certificates and provisioning profiles contain what is needed, and current ones are on my Mac), I encountered this oddity about "Development Team to use for profiling" being missing. Am hoping that is related to the missing entitlement when submit to TestFlight.

• MichalStaszewskiMichalStaszewski USMember ✭✭

did You manage any solution to this as I'm facing the same issue?

• HenrikWeimenhg.6431HenrikWeimenhg.6431 SEMember ✭✭

i have the same problem. This fastlane thing is a joke! Wrap these commands in the UI instead.

• IliaSkirkoIliaSkirko USMember

Same problem here. I have added Push Notifications capability to my AppID on the developers web site, downloaded new provisioning profiles and certificates for Push Notifications, installed all of them. And now I can't select Push Notifications entitlement in Xamarin Studio. And I can say more, I can't select iCloud entitlement as well, though I've used this capability for the long time already.

• HenrikWeimenhg.6431HenrikWeimenhg.6431 SEMember ✭✭

All that applies to me as well! I am totally blocked in my development now. I am going totally ballistic on this situation!

• ApprecotApprecot USMember

I change from visual to xamarin studio whenever I want distribution release

• SteveShaw.5557SteveShaw.5557 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

@Apprecot - using Xamarin Studio seems to no longer be an option on PC, if starting on a new PC without it installed. And from the download page, it sounds like it is going away soon on Mac as well.