Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Operator '==' cannot be applied to operands of type 'LayoutOptions' and 'LayoutOptions'

mshwfmshwf EGMember ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

I'm trying to make a loop statement on the HorizontalOptions of a CustomGrid, first I used switch:

switch (HorizontalOptions)
                {
                    case LayoutOptions.Start:
                        HorizontalOptions = LayoutOptions.End;
                        break;
                    default:
                        break;
                }

but it says a constant value is expected (I feel I'm missing a very basic rule of C#!)

then I tried with if statement:

if (HorizontalOptions == LayoutOptions.Start)
                {

}

The error now is:

Operator '==' cannot be applied to operands of type 'LayoutOptions' and 'LayoutOptions'

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@mshwf "HorizontalOptions" is property that describes an Object. It is not a variable or an Object by itself. Say if you are trying to check the value to which HorizontalOptions of a TextBox named say "TextBox1" then try as below:

if (TextBoz1.HorizontalOptions == LayoutOptions.Start) { }

Also you can use it in switch too:

switch(TxtBox1.HorizontaOptions)

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

The type LayoutOptions is a struct, not an enum. LayoutOptions.Start, etc., are static properties (like DateTime.Now), not enum values. That is why you cannot put it in a switch statement. Also, the == operator must be overloaded by the struct to work, which Xamarin did not do.

Instead, you can switch on its Alignment property which is an enum.