Get Started with Xamarin

AmyBAmyB USXamarin Team Xamurai

We've just opened up a competition to keep you busy over the holidays! By entering you can have the chance to win a three month Xamarin University subscription.

Check it out here and get entering!

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi @AmyB

Great Blog,just now posted my tweet.

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

Hi Amy, while I like the Xamarin Live player functionality - using a device for validating the UI design of Xamarin Form is not as fun as potentially using Xamarin forms previewer and a lightweight full featured emulator. Is there any plan on solidifying that feature? Right not it is completely broken. I am using the Gorilla player, which is a decent work around. But, I was wondering since acquisition by Microsoft, is the Xamarin team investing in solidifying the previewer (providing iOS / Android / UWP previewer) ?

Using live player one has worry about setting up device next to IDE etc.... and constantly flipping your eyesight from IDE to device... not so much fun....

Your thoughts will be appreciated,
    Thanks

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@XamIT: Agreed! Have you seen our new Xamarin Live Player previewing within emulators (Windows & macOS) and simulators (macOS) available in Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5:
    https://blog.xamarin.com/whats-new-visual-studio-2017-version-15-5/

It basically does exactly what you're asking for!

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

@PierceBoggan, thank you for your note.
    I am trying to test the feature as you mentioned - **the experience is horrible ** as there is a conflict between Hyper-V required to run Windows for Docker and Android Emulator requiring HAXM to run without Hyper-V.
    And, Xamarin Live Player keeps crashing constantly on the android emulator (even with Hyper-V disabled).

I have Dockers for Windows running on the same pc (brand new surface book 2, i7, 16gb model) with Hyper-v enabled.
    In that case the HAXM emulator throws the error as shown below...

To test the new feature as you suggested in VS 15.5, I end up disabling Hyper-V causing me to restart the pc and then seeing the live player on the android emulator crashing...
    As of now, in the android emulator the live player keeps crashing. See the screenshot below.

What next ?
    Also - will you (@PierceBoggan) please help me with my requests on SmartHotel360 forum? I am waiting for your guidance.

Thanks,
    XamIT

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2017

@PierceBoggan, @JamesMontemagno , @DavidOrtinau now the emulator is crashing staying at the blank (dark) screen ... the deployment of the apps being hung
    Here is the list of Xamarin.Diagnostics errors -

In some instances for some of my other solutions when I tried to consolidate Xamarin Forms across android, iOS, UWP projects.. the consolidation kept failing ...with error stating "this is a readonly collection"

Can you please help ?
    I need Dockers for Windows (with Hyper-V enabled) and Android Emulators (with HAXM enabled) running simultaneously .

With spending out top end dollars for the top end Surface Book2, I can't afford to have separate machines for Apps and API development.

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

Hello @PierceBoggan ,

I understand that AVD emulators and Docker can't run simultaneously due to conflict between HAXM and Hyper-V.

As a result, I have installed VS Android Emulator (API 23) that works in conjunction with Docker for Windows with Hyper-V enabled. How do I get the Xamarin Live player installed on these VS Android emulator devices?

Thanks,
    XamIT