Forum Visual Studio
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Archive option is disabled in Visual Studio 2015

when I right click on project (Android), Archive option is disabled. I can archive, sign and distribute same project using xamarin studio on mac. But on VS2015 it is disabled. Please help

Answers

• I found the problem. I also noticed that tools->Anrdoid-> Android SDK manager was disabled too. Somehow Android sdk tools folder was empty. I copied the batch file and it works now.

• gregfoxgregfox USMember ✭✭

Hi chandan,

Can you please help me, what do you mean batch file?

I have the same problems.

Thanks

• Where ever you have got android sdk installed. In android-sdk-tools folder make sure you have files there as shown in the attached image

• SDK>Tools folder will be empty.
    Go to SDK > Temp folder. There will be a wrar named tools_. Copy this wrar somewhere else and extract it. Extracted folder will have the "Tools" folder. Replace this Tools folder with SDK>Tools folder and Archive/SDK Manager etc everything will be back.

This resolved my issue.

• KhaledZaidKhaledZaid USMember

Hi , I've got the same issue and led me to this post. I resolved the problem by going to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp
    I found the following file in there: tools_r25.2.2-windows.zip (as of 13/10/2016)
    I opened the zip file, there is a 'tools' folder.
    I unzipped the tools folder to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk' and overwrite the existing tools folder.
    Restart Visual Studio and all the layout file can be displayed normally.

Good luck everyone!

If this helped you, please tick the Like button ;) thanks.

• Hello, I'd got the same issue. I solved it donwloding the SDK command line tools that I found in the Android Studio page (sdk-tools-windows -.... zip)
    I unzipped the file an copy/paste the content in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools

I also see that the Google GUI to update the SDKs were deprecated and now is included in the Android Studio. Xamarin is working to include a GUI inside Visual Studio to update Android SDKs but for now this tools is only available in the Visual Studio 2017 preview, you can see more info in the Xamarin Documentation: Using the Xamarin Android SDK Manager