Upgrading Xamarin Forms with Windows Phone 8.0 Silverlight project in solution

PaulDistonPaulDiston USUniversity ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Xamarin University

I am currently in the process of performing a long await upgrade to Xamarin and Xamarin Forms for our solutions.

Am I correct in my understanding that support for Windows Phone 8 Silverlight projects was removed for Xamarin Forms?

There are a number of reasons why we are still using a WP8 Silverlight project, mostly due to our customers still using WP8 devices as well as certain libraries only being supported in Silverlight and not RT.

What are my options to keep my WP8 Silverlight project working while my Android, iOS and XF PCL projects (which my WP8 project consumes) are upgraded from 2.3.2.127 to 2.5.0.91635?

Can I upgrade all the projects but leave the WP8 Silverlight project using version 2.3.2.127 of XF?

Answers

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@PaulDiston WP8 is still present in Xamarin.Forms 2.5.0. We have removed it in the master branch, so it will be gone in the next major release. All service releases for 2.5.0 will still have it.

So your WP8 project should be fine to update to 2.5.0. Let us know if you run into any problems, of course.